Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should i buy a cambo wds as my 1st LF camera?

should i buy a cambo wds as my 1st LF camera?

I've been looking at a few on e-bay and the price on some are very tempting but most come with just the body(makes me think parts are hard to find). I have also looked into the combo WRS but I still want to shoot film and I don't think the combo WRS can. Can anyone suggest other cameras similar? Cheers

Regards Shane.

Re: should i buy a cambo wds as my 1st LF camera?

Hi Shane,

the WDS/WRS seems to be a wide-angle camera strictly designed for digital medium-format backs. It is not a complete LF camera and would imho not be a good choice, if you want to shoot 4x5 film.
    What are your demands? What will you be shooting, what kind of lenses do you prefer (wide-angle, normal, long)? Do you want to shoot film exclusively, or also use a digiback?

As Rollinhofuji noted, the best answer to your question is NO. The Cambo WDS is not large format, is very specialized for architectural photography, is not intended for film, and as if that wasn't reason enough to stay away, it is a very expensive kit. The description from the Cambo page should give you a good idea (and I've inserted some hints):

"Cambo's Wide DS Digital series is the ideal photographic tool for the demanding architectural photographer. The set has been designed for digital photography with high-end digital backs ($$$$) and features Schneider's latest Digitar lenses ($$$) with short focal lengths for optimum image quality, as well as a choice from Rodenstock's Digaron series($$$)"

Great hints, Dan

I shoot landscapes and some street photography. I like WDS because it can take a 4x5 sheet film, as well as the opportunity to upgrade to digital later if needed. seems like a very portable camera as I don't see my self using a try pod for my street photography. My budget is around 3-4k. Im just very new to largeformat and are open to suggestions. Cheers

The Cambo WDS and WRS are desiged as Architecture cameras first and foremost. I would suggest looking into the Chamonix SABER or look through the LF Forum threads for discussions about hand held 4x5 cameras, like this one:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Busch-Pressman

Well, LF without a tripod is possible, and might make sense in some niches. Street would be one, Landscape rather not. For sure the WDS would NOT make sense for this application. You would need a viewfinder and rangefinder for framing and focusing, if you want to shoot handheld. I suggest to go through the articles here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ first before geeting hooked up by a specific camera...

Couldn't find much in the articles but I have looked into the Cambo Wide 580. Seems perfect as i only need tilt and shift. http://www.paul-armitage.com/CamboWide.html they seem like they are getting hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
    I shoot landscapes and some street photography. I like WDS because it can take a 4x5 sheet film, as well as the opportunity to upgrade to digital later if needed. seems like a very portable camera as I don't see my self using a try pod for my street photography. My budget is around 3-4k. Im just very new to largeformat and are open to suggestions. Cheers
    You probably have too big budget (assuming it's in US$) If, for any reason, you want to take some pictures with a hand-held LF camera, consider a press one with a good rangefinder. This, with a pair of suitable lenses should cost about 1k. And be prepared that your street pictures might be, at least for the beginning, somehow inferior to those taken with a more suitable tool (a small/medium format rangefinder, a TLR or so). Honestly, I don't see a much purpose of hand-held LF cameras (unless you David Burnett) - nor market does, press cameras LF were obsoleted about half a century ago, while field and monorail cameras are still available new.

For remaining money you may get a field camera for landscape - they are not designed to be hand-held, but provides you more flexibility in therms of extension, movements and range of lenses you can use with. Depending on format, brand, quality and chance, you may spend from 500 up to 12k for a camera, and from 500 up to unlimited for a set of lenses.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097

Nerv, if you insist on those strange Cambo cameras, go for them. But be aware that the choice of lenses would be extremely limited (to wide angle lenses), which need super-expensive helical focusing (totally uncommon for LF lenses, for good reason).
    Anyway, this one is still not suitable for handheld shooting since it lacks a rangefinder. Focusing on the ground glass and then inserting a film holder HANDHELD is simply not possible, at least if you want the things to be in focus you focused on.

By the way, I do not think that this camera provides reasonable tilt (if any).