Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CL81 - an 8X10 sheet film processing reel Kickstarter is now live!

Re: CL81 - an 8X10 sheet film processing reel Kickstarter is now live!

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    There is a loading demo on the kickstarter page.
    Thanks, I missed it the first time around.

It looks like the reel could be used with a 5x7 as well with some minor modification.
    That would be a nice feature for those of us who have the smaller Jobo ATL-1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    It looks like the reel could be used with a 5x7 as well with some minor modification.
    That would be a nice feature for those of us who have the smaller Jobo ATL-1500.
    Have a look here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...proce/comments

Here is a short update to answer several questions that came up:

1. At this time the CL81 will not be able to process 5X7. We are working in a 5X7 concept and hope to have some progress once we clear the slate after the CL81's start shipping. I know this is not the best answer, but stay tuned, we are working on it.

2. Each backer who pledged for a CL81 and Multitank 5 will have the chance to select an inversion lid or cog lid if funding is successful.

Thanks to everyone who has already pledged, please help us make this project succeed by sharing the link to the project on your social media outlets.

Great ideal project! I have seen the loading video which is similar to the loading of a Jobo 2509. From the video, the loading seems to be a single handed loading while the other hand holds the end of the loaded film. Would the film spring out of the grooves if I do not hold the other end of the film? This is because I suppose in the dark environment, I would be fumbling to remove the 2nd and 3rd sheet of film from the film holder after loading the first sheet. So I presume that the first sheet should stay in the reel while I remove and load the second sheet and subsequently the third sheet.

I just don't understand why 3 sheets were chosen, 4 seems to make a lot more sense, I mean, you have 2 sides to a holder, this means really most people will be only developing 2 sheets at a time realistically if you shot 2 holders, unless they shot 6 sheets. It just seems like a strange number.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I just don't understand why 3 sheets were chosen, 4 seems to make a lot more sense, I mean, you have 2 sides to a holder, this means really most people will be only developing 2 sheets at a time realistically if you shot 2 holders, unless they shot 6 sheets. It just seems like a strange number.
    I guess reason for using 3 sheets probably come from the design Jobo used in their 2509 holders. The 2509 can hold up to 3 sheets on each side of the reel, having 6 sheets in total on 2 sides. Since the 810 film is much longer so it can only accommodate one side, hence 3 sheets.

CL81 - an 8X10 sheet film processing reel Kickstarter is now live!

4 sheets of 10x8 would need a deeper depth of chemistry, and given the shape of a tank on its side adding that extra depth could easily double the volume of chemistry required. On some of the smaller machines like a cpe2 there's a limit to how much juice/weight the motor is happy turning (for a cpe2 its 600ml).

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    you're welcome to make your own version. the alternative (jobo expert drums) holds 5 sheets and I've never heard nor experienced a complaint about that number.

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100 View Post
    Great ideal project! I have seen the loading video which is similar to the loading of a Jobo 2509. From the video, the loading seems to be a single handed loading while the other hand holds the end of the loaded film. Would the film spring out of the grooves if I do not hold the other end of the film? This is because I suppose in the dark environment, I would be fumbling to remove the 2nd and 3rd sheet of film from the film holder after loading the first sheet. So I presume that the first sheet should stay in the reel while I remove and load the second sheet and subsequently the third sheet.
    Well, if you let go of the first sheet after rolling it in, unless it is fairly thick type of film (like Xray), it will most likely fly out. For that reason you will want to unload your holders first, and have the 3 sheets ready to load before starting. You will need to hang on to all 3 until you put the clamp on.