Thread: OHP Film for digital negatives that is available pref in the UK/EU (for Piezograpy)?

OHP Film for digital negatives that is available pref in the UK/EU (for Piezograpy)?

I am in the process of converting my Epson 2880 to Jon Cone's Piezography2 Digital Negative and Print System (depends if he ever answers my questions) along with my intention to begin Carbon Printing (awaiting parts for my personal design [with some assistance from John Jarosz] of Vacuum Contact Frame to arrive).

To this end I now find that I will need a really good Inkjet Transparency Film which is available in the UK preferably in both A3 and A4 sizes (I can burn the A4 until I get good results and use the A3 for larger prints only. The transparency film recommended by Jon Cone is 'Ultra Premium Pictorio OHP film' and this is the medium that the control curves in QTR have been made for. Unfortunately this OHP film does not seem to be available in the UK or even in the EU.

So, are there any photographers in the UK or EU using Jon Cone's Piezography Inks to make digital negatives? If you do, what Inkjet compatible OHP film do you use, if not, but you know of a suitable film that will both produce good results and also is available in the UK or EU could you please give me the 'heads up'.

Anyone who uses Piezography who can give some advice on making digital negatives for Carbon Printing using the Cone Ink-set would be doing me a great favour if they could pass along any tips.

TIA, Eddie

Re: OHP Film for digital negatives that is available pref in the UK/EU (for Piezograp

I can not help you with supplies in the UK, but the carbon forum on yahoo (see below) has a lot of information about making digital negatives for carbon printing.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: OHP Film for digital negatives that is available pref in the UK/EU (for Piezograp

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I can not help you with supplies in the UK, but the carbon forum on yahoo (see below) has a lot of information about making digital negatives for carbon printing.

Sandy
    That's great Sandy, really appreciate the link, I have requested to join.

Eddie.

I use an Epson 4000 and cheap, refillable 3rd party inks from China. Works great for both carbon transfer and Kallitype. I used Pictorico, but too expensive, so I've settled on stuff that I swear is the same. I pick it up at a local silkscreen printing supply shop. It's called Silkjet.

Thank you Andrew I'll do a search for it and see if is available in the UK.

You say you are using cheap 3rd party inks from China are they colour or monochrome? If colour what software if any do you use to get your digital negative?

I have a 4880 that I have a 3 full 220ml colour sets (except for one Light Vivid Magenta) that I have picked up cheap from ebay so am not constrained by ink use, just that the general consensus I have gleaned from the internet is that the Cone piezography ink set is the way to go for the very best Digital internegatives.

If your results are good using the normal colour set then I might try that initially as the 110ml Piezo Inks are About £350 ($560) (with postage and fees to the UK) for the 2880 and a whopping £840 ($1350) for the 110ml set for the 4880.

Pictorico can be bought at least here: http://www.pictorico.eu/ and behind this link you'll find couple of local sources for transparencies: http://lists.altphotolist.org/piperm...ne/000452.html. I'm not sure which one of the Pictorico films carbon printers use. There are OHP transparency film and Hi-Gloss White film on the Pictorico's website. I have no experience of any of these nor the ones behind the links posted on Alt Photo list.

They are colour inks. I can only compare the negatives to the negatives I printed using Epson inks. I don't see any difference. There is no way that I can afford Cone inks and would rather spend that money on film. I have been using QTR.

I have experience with Pictorico's OHP film - it dully works, but it's quite expensive. I have also tried some no-name OHP film - it doesn't (really), but it's way cheaper.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097