Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightest and most compact tripod for minimal 4x5 kit

Lightest and most compact tripod for minimal 4x5 kit

I hate to make a tripod thread, but, I wouldn't mind having some suggestions. There are too many tripods out there, new and old, to research everything.

I'm planning on buying a carbon fiber tripod with my tax return this year. I'm wanting to really pare down the weight from my 055XPROB legs and 3037 kit I have (or 3039 for the 8x10). Upon really thinking about it, I don't need more than 7-8 pounds of load capacity. My Chamonix 45n-1 is not even 3 pounds and my largest typical hiking lens is less than 1 pound. So even fully loaded with a 6x12 back and filters or whatever I might barely hit 5 pounds. Why carry a 7 pound tripod/head?! That said, if I can get a set of legs that have a higher load capacity for not much more weight, I might go for that. I do sometimes hike with my Linhof, which adds a few pounds, not to mention a Zone VI 8x10 - but on the other hand I already have tripods that can handle those so not a big deal.

So yeah, I'm looking for a super-lightweight set of legs and a decent head. The head I'm most stuck at. I do not want a ballhead. I can't stand them. I want a 3-way head with a good range of motion. Honestly I'm almost leaning towards an old Linhof 3-way leveling head, because it's not terribly much heavier than most heads I'm looking at and is more compact without all the handles. Also been looking at the Manfrotto 460MG.

Finding a used one for cheaper than new is always nice so probably looking at standard brands that can be found on the used market easily.

Thanks
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Lightest and most compact tripod for minimal 4x5 kit

I don't know about the lightest tripod around, but a Manfrotto 190 should work fine with any 4x5" field camera. Its weight is words apart from your 55.

Feisol CT3441S = 2.2# + Linhof 3663 = 1.77# = 3.97#. I'm sure that someone lies just a little bit, so say 4+#.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

You might consider the Manfrotto/Bogen 3025 head (maybe a new model number now). It is a very simple, compact and light weight 3-way head. I have one on a Manfrotto 190 as my "light weight" tripod. Frankly, the 190 (aluminum version) is not really light weight at all but it is somewhat lighter than the 055, which I also have. I've often thought that I "needed" a set of carbon fiber legs but, then when I look at the prices, I am quite happy with the 190/3025 combination.

I recently purchased an Induro CT214 as a travel-friendly(still need to put it in the checked bag to keep the weight down) tripod to support my Alpenhause 4x5 conversion. I've got an Acratech GP ballhead on it, and I have to say that it's a sweet combo! Not the tallest(for me, but I'm 6'4"), but it's tall enough for most applications I'll need it for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...14_Tripod.html

And that combo is quite lightweight(under 5lbs total), but still very sturdy.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    You might consider the Manfrotto/Bogen 3025 head (maybe a new model number now). It is a very simple, compact and light weight 3-way head. I have one on a Manfrotto 190 as my "light weight" tripod. Frankly, the 190 (aluminum version) is not really light weight at all but it is somewhat lighter than the 055, which I also have. I've often thought that I "needed" a set of carbon fiber legs but, then when I look at the prices, I am quite happy with the 190/3025 combination.
    I second the 3205 head, or as it is now called, the 056 3D Junior Head (see: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-056-.../dp/B001A1TMR0 ). It is by no means "junior" and supports my Wistas and Woodman cameras with lenses up to 300mm with no problem. I've even used it in a pinch with the Zone VI (4th generation Ritter camera) and a 450mm lens (but wouldn't do that a lot...)

The head works as a regular pan/tilt head, but only has knobs, not handles, reducing its weight. Its platform and joints are as big as many larger heads with handles. One advantage is that you can easily loosen more knobs than one to be able to adjust in two planes simultaneously. With all three loose, it functions like a ball head; I use it mostly one at a time, but occasionally like both pan and tilt loose. FWIW, I own two of these.

As for tripods: much depends on how high you need to be. I haven't got around to trying out carbon fiber tripods, but have heard some things about cheaper ones not being that rugged or durable. My Manfrotto 3205 is aluminum but weighs under 5lbs and, with the legs not quite extended, will get me just over 5ft of height (with head, of course). Here are the specs:

Manfrotto 3205 Tripod Legs Tripods
    Aluminum construction
    Max height: 58.3 inches
    Collapsed length: 22.6 inches
    Supports 11.00 lb (4.99 kg)
    Four leg angle settings
    All-terrain retractable spiked feet in rust-free stainless steel
    Center column with an innovative three-faced design

I wouldn't want a shorter one. Lighter would be better, but I've used mine (I have two) for everything from an rock pick to a walking stick to a brake when sliding down a snowy slope and, except for replacing a few knobs and leg locks now and then, they are still going.

Best,

Doremus

Hi Bryan,

I can even suggest a Feisol CT3301, it holds my Technikardan and MT 3000 quite well. Downpoint is its height, not really enough for me. But quite compact and rigid enough for most work, if your work carefully (I prefer my new Linhof 003333 for superb rigidity).
    The Linhof 003663 looks a bit fat on the Feisol.

See if you can get a Mamiya AW701 head (see http://www.mamiya.co.jp/home/camera/...pod/index.html). It is cheap, ultra-lightweight, and locks super-tight. Downpoint is the bad dampening, especially when compared to the Linhof head. The latter one is very smooth, which helps much when operating a 4x5.

Definitely this setup is far superiour to my Manfrotto 190 legs with 804RC2 head, and much lighter.

Best regards,
    Jan

P.S.: The Mamiya head locks almost perfectly, it practically does not affect framing at all. In this discipline, it is on par (perhaps even better) with the Linhof 003663 I borrowed, but the Linhof is at least 30 years old.

Ask yourself: How much am I willing to give up in terms of size and stability to lighten the load?

At the bottom end is hand-held LF as in the press cameras, Polaroud conversions, Hobo, Photoman and Wanderlust.Tripod weight becomes zero.

When it comes to supporting the camera there are a large number of clamps with ballheads out there.No legs and you need a tree or something.

A minimal DIY would be a ballhead screwed to a board. Holds it steady bot only sis inches high.

GFor tripods, there are any number of desk-top tripods that are strong enough but light because they are short.

A friend has a compact tripod that started out as a full size Bogan, He cut off the legs leaving only 3/4 of the top section. It holds his Deardorff 8x10.

Living in a large city (Houston), maybe I'm spoiled by availability. I would go down to a camera shop with my gear and see what suits the need. I realize that not everyone can do that.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a Linhof 3663 or the Jr.3D from Manfrotto. I kind of like having no handles. I tend to forget to lock down handles when I have them only slightly unlocked, to allow some dampening, and then as soon as I put the holder in, whoop there it moves.

Will look into the Fiesol and other legs. The Manfrotto 190 price looks real nice but it's still a 4lb tripod, more than I want on the legs.

I'm 6' so yes height is a bit of a concern - 5' would be nice.

Edit: Drew - good points, but no I don't have any place to go try out tripods. Also, the scenery here is a little different than a lot of folks shoot - I tend to hike out quite far. Monday I hiked 5 miles, but with just some 35mm gear for fun. That's not even much. I've gone much further in a day, but with the big tripod and 4x5 I usually don't have nearly as much endurance. I'm looking ahead towards some trips where I may be doing 10+ miles in a day. Or at least as much as I can.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bryan, I admire your energy and stamina. Many years ago I did things like that. Climbed Long's Peak twice in the summer of 1970. Did two weeks on the Applalachian Trail a year or two later. I understand the weight issues.

Nowadays I usually transport my gear on a set of luggage wheels or a golf bag cart. Weight is still a factor and my compact Wista sits on a little CF tripod with a magnesium ballhead.

As Kipling put it: "Something's hidden—go and find it!"
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!