Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

mitch

Re: Alt-Process Prints from Digital Negatives or Positives

It truly does after visiting and see Sandy work in person I couldn't wait to start working again. so much I went and bought two new to me cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Live oak tree at Middle Place on Ossabaw Island. Image capture made in the rain with partial clearing in the sky to reveal clouds. Nine frame stitch from Sony a7r II converted to IR, final about 200 mp in size. Carbon print 16X23" on 20X25" albumen sized art paper. Printed from a digital negative. The low resolution .jpeg does not do justice to the print as detail is pretty incredible.

Sandy
    Bravo !

I have seen the presence Sandy's work has on the wall. Excellent!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks to Vaughn for his generous comment about my work.

Attached is another image of the same oak tree on Ossabaw that was in an exhibition at Hayward last year near the beginning of Vaughn’s artist in residency at PhotoCentral. The tree is the same one in the image we are currently talking about, though taken some years ago, and from another point of view.

And now, a lot more information than you bargained for.

Middle Place on Ossabaw Island is near the north to south road on the island, said to be one the oldest in continuous use in the US. Charles Kuralt did a segment about this road in his on the road series. The road dates from about 1720 when the island was first logged for the live oaks to serve the shipping industry.

Middle Place was also the center of a live off the earth experience called the Genesis project that lasted from about 1970-83. Left from that project are several building near the old oak tree, and a bunch of abandoned VW campers from the 1970s and 1980s.

There is also a scene that took place in Middle Place in the film, “Sherman's March: A Meditation on the Possibility of Romantic Love In the South During an Era of Nuclear Weapons Proliferation,” a documentary written and directed by Ross McElwee, that won the grand prize at the Sundance Film Festival in 1987. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherma...ch_(1986_film) In the scene from Middle Place one of the female members of the Genesis project, Winnie, is seen picking ticks from her naked body while sunbathing, less than 50 yards from the old oak tree, just northeast of a branch of Buckhead Creek. https://mapcarta.com/20774508

The old tree itself is several hundred years old, which means that it predates the logging in the early 18th century. It is the largest living creature by far on the island, and I am fortunate to have had the chance to spend some time under its branches.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MiddlePlaceOak2.jpg  
    Last edited by sanking; 16-Feb-2018 at 21:32.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I've also had the privilege of seeing Sandy's work 'on the wall'. Inspirational!

A direct carbon print made with tissue pre-sensitized with a ferric salt.

Image is somewhere near Xian, China

An unexpected result, kind of like Fresson without all the washing with saw dust. The process of iron sensitizing is capable of giving smooth and sharp results, here I just failed to get the pigment thoroughly mixed in the solution. But this would be entirely repeatable I believe by using powder pigment. Scan has some weird blurriness, but that is due to the fact that the carbon print is over a sheet of white paper, which is giving reflections.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guards055.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Very interesting... Ferric Salt??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breeze.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	175330

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poles.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	175333

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Very interesting... Ferric Salt??
    Yes, ferric salts include compounds such as ferric citrate, ferric ammonium citrate, ferric ammonium oxalate, ferric oxalate, etc. They are primarily used as light sensitive compounds in processes like cyanotype, pt/pd, vandke, kallitype, etc. where their use has been well documented in photograhy.

The ferric salts have also been used to tan and harden gelatin and have some history of use in this area of photography with colloid processes. The Chiba system is one example of their use in gum and carbon printing, though my experiments with the ferric salts and carbon are following a very different work flow.

Sandy

Interesting. Since I do make Kallitypes, I have Ferric Oxalate on hand. Thank you.