Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: to "opening" or not to "opening"?

Re: to "opening" or not to "opening"?

Depends on who your clients will be.

The significant (higher dollar) sales of the gallery close to me (also in a tourist town) actually seem to be more to new residents or others with new homes rather than tourists.

If I were starting a gallery and wanted to tap into that "new local" market I might be inviting Real Estate people and Home builders and Restauranteurs and ...

I don't know that any tourist would be tempted by an opening. I know I don't drive to Santa Fe because there's an opening, but it is nice to know the range of dates of when something I'm interested in will be there.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

NOW... that is one opening I might attend

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    LOL

the OP might as well have it set up as a PEEP SHOW if he
    is going to charge admission.

I would definitely do an opening Darin...advertise a month out or at least a few weeks.
    Wine, beer and snacks.
    You've gone this far....Contact local press outlets and write up a PR piece...

I had a donation box to "keep art alive" which compensated in part for the beverage and food costs

Maybe invest in a 2x8 banner (about 30-40$) and hang facing the traffic prior to opening as well...

Postcards distributed at nearby venues where applicable.

Even look for a local solo musician to work for tips..

Make it an event to help spread the buzz...

Maybe a drawing to receive a free print
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    And if "opening" do we serve wine?
    Get 'em just drunk enough to buy, not spill.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    NOW... that is one opening I might attend
    How about serving wine and Tang. Call it Dr Tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Funny how things look different from different perspectives. Kirk, i think you are trying to make the case *for* openings but from my (new, embryonic) gallery owner perspective you are really making the case *against* openings.

Or at least making the case against inviting artists to their own openings!

--Darin
    I fail to see the logic of your interpretation of my statement. I used to be uncomfortable with openings I suppose because I lacked confidence. One way to change a behavior is simply to act differently till it becomes second nature. Somewhere around 50 of about a 100 openings I got comfortable with them.

Frankly if someone wanted to show my work and there was no opening I would not take them very seriously as a venue. I might do it if I had some previously shown framed prints around in storage-rather see them hanging somewhere than gathering dust, but I certainly wouldn't invest time and resources into producing new work for such a venue. Yes people buy art but they also buy into an artist which is easier to accomplish if they have had the opportunity to meet the artist in some format.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A well-known photographer moved up here to Humboldt County from Monterey. Built a beautiful house and incredible darkroom (with climate-controlled storage and all that) on a wonderful ocean property. He and his wife ended up moving back to Monterey -- he found that without the face-time with customers/collectors he could have in Monterey, his print sales were dropping quickly.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

From what I've seen over the past 30 years, running a gallery and holding openings go hand in hand. If you don't want to do "openings" then don't run a gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I fail to see the logic of your interpretation of my statement. I used to be uncomfortable with openings I suppose because I lacked confidence. One way to change a behavior is simply to act differently till it becomes second nature. Somewhere around 50 of about a 100 openings I got comfortable with them.

Frankly if someone wanted to show my work and there was no opening I would not take them very seriously as a venue. I might do it if I had some previously shown framed prints around in storage-rather see them hanging somewhere than gathering dust, but I certainly wouldn't invest time and resources into producing new work for such a venue. Yes people buy art but they also buy into an artist which is easier to accomplish if they have had the opportunity to meet the artist in some format.
    +1, except I would add that people mostly (if not entirely) buy the artist.

I've noted quite a few, what in my hard won experience are, unrealistic notions and unyielding statements regarding likes and dislikes by the OP in this seemingly never ending process of polling members. In my original list of concerns "never say never" was subtly numbered first.

Darin,
    As much as this is fun, you're asking the wrong people. There are plenty of good ideas. However, there is one question I don't see asked: who is the opening for? I presume you want to do well financially. Who will buy the photographs? Have you identified you target market?

Once you do that, you need to find a few of them you can approach and ask them what they want.

David Silva is on the money when he suggests partnering with a local winery that wants to showcase their wines. Pair it with a wine tasting and a good caterer and you can lower the prices.

Have fun,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing