Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: to "opening" or not to "opening"?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: to "opening" or not to "opening"?

I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. Why does anyone care what gallery models interests you? Why does anyone care if there's expensive real estate in some suburbs?

I'm addressing your statement that most high-end galleries lose money and survive as tax write-offs for rich people. You're changing the subject to god-knows-what.

Drew Wiley

Sorry if the rest of the world does not exist in your NYC stereotypes, Paul... but that's the way it is.

Don't bother Paul. Its not possible to pin Drew down on facts behind his opinions.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

Francis Bacon summed up this problem in Novum Organum some four centuries ago. "The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion . . . draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects or despises, or else buy some distinction sets aside or rejects."

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Drew Wiley

Have you ever tried acquiring a little piece of real estate action around here, Kirk?.... think you'd be in for a bit of a shock. I make my living integrated with the
    remodel business, both high-end residential and light commercial, as well as supplying all kinds of things to makers of art furniture, designer furniture, museum installations (including the local museum shops where the displays are made), the NPS projects, art auctioneers, and the homes and toys of the very very wealthy. This is my bread and butter. And I'm not bluffing anyone. Name me one photographer - just one - who actually lives around here making his primary income on prints, or who gets more than a passing glance from any of these allegedly successful galleries. Yeah, a little butter on the bread is nice form time to time, but every one of these guys makes their primary living some other way, or else wouldn't even dream of trying to leave here on the coast anymore. A number of people
    are doing rather well selling various kinds of art, but it's not the traditional gallery model whatsoever - it's right out of their home or a dedicated small office. Rare
    book dealers are getting close to the same business model. No need for retail staff when your serious clients know who you are already. But it's still important to
    have an appropriate viewing environment.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Or read blogs by some of the succesful gallerists who are generous with their time and ideas. Like Edward Winkleman.

And all of this is irrelevant to Darin, I suspect. I don't think he's trying to build a business on the same model as Fraenkel or Bonrubi or Gagosian. I don't think anyone succeeds at that anymore, unless they've spent years working in galleries at that level, learning the business and building a client list.
    Funny, it was old post on Ed's blog blog that started off my question on whether to have alcohol at openings or not--http://www.edwardwinkleman.com/2008/05/alcohol-at-openings-open-thread.html

I am certainly NOT trying to become the next Fraenkel--my timing isn't so good, for one!

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Well ... don't think I'd want to serve what they were showing Denver galleries passing around during openings on the news last nite.... but maybe loosening people's inhibitions helps loosen their wallets too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sorry if the rest of the world does not exist in your NYC stereotypes, Paul... but that's the way it is.
    Sort of like the rest of the world does not exist in your uber-expensive SF stereotypes? As if all galleries have to fit that mold, or your mold.

Drew Wiley

The world ends at Denver. Everything east of that is flat. Don't want to fall off the edge.