Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardner Formula(s) For TF-5

Drew Wiley

Re: Hardner Formula(s) For TF-5

"Harden the print before it is dried", not before you tone it. .... (????).... anyway, I haven't had any issues with TF4 followed by sulphide toners, with just a decent
    water bath rinse in between... maybe because I always do gold and/or selenium before sulphide toning... maybe not. Just try it without the hardener. It would seem
    to be more predictable that way. I have no experience with TF5. TF4 is distinctly alkaline, so you shouldn't introduce excess acid into it, but it's probably not much
    of an issue if you let the stop bath drain off well first, or mix it weak to begin with. I find that when I used acetic acid stop, only 1/2% or so is plenty strong for a
    typical work session. With amidol I use a plain water stop, because it's the one kind of paper developer I mix acidic. I discard everything at the end of the day, and never gamble on reuse.

Drew Wiley

... or of course, you could just give Formulary a phone call. They're quite responsive. Makes more sense than trying to make Kodak instruction relate to something
    formulated afterwards.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Lol...Drew you tone the print after it has been developed and fixed and if you use a hardener you use it after you have toned it. Kodak doesn't call for a 2d fix like PF does (but the toner formulas are similar) just a hardening bath.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Really... it hasn't ever been an issue for me. I routinely use TF4, single fix (But I do mix the sulphide with some hypo), never harden. Just let the prints air dry on screens normal. There may be more than one "right" way to do this. All I'm sayin' is that this works for me.