Thread: Sinar F2 6" rail only.

Sinar F2 6" rail only.

I hope this isn't a repeat - I attempted to search the forum for info beforehand... While I know it's possible to mount the F2 on the 6" rail only, but how practical would it be to use in the field? I have an interest in 65mm / 90mm lenses (120mm max) and nothing close up. I know the bag bellows would be more than useful. I'd prefer the sinar over a field due to the modular design (I know someone will suggest a field camera). Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Sinar F2 6" rail only.

I'm not aware of a 6" base rail.

The standard base rail is 12". There's also a 36" base rail.

The difference between base rails and extension rails is the former has female threads on both ends.
    The extension rail has one male and one female thread.

Given that the "knob" is on the female end of the extension rail, there's no way to mount it
    with the female end toward the camera, as would be required on one end if an extension
    rail was used as a base rail.

Other than that issue, I see no reason you couldn't use a 6" extension as a base rail.

However, one concern...
    The metal of a real base rail may be thicker (stronger) than that of the extension rails.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I was under the impression that Sinar makes a "special end cap" to thread into the female end?

Yes. The standard base rail comes with two of them.
    These are caps. There is no provision for connecting anything to the outboard end.

These are important, since the end is larger diameter, preventing a standard from sliding off.

If you try to use an extension rail as a base rail, only one cap would fit.
    The other end would be the wrong gender.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Using a 6" Sinar rail as the base rail sort of works.. If you can deal with such a short rail with the rail clamp and ...

It is possible to store and transport the F using the 6" rail, then add the standard base rail to extend the two standards as required.

The standard rail can be cut down or shortened. This requires precision machine work as the cut off ends must be precise and ID bored to fit the black rail ends. These ends are held in place with Loctite which required heating the M6 internal threaded area to release the bond before these ends can be removed.

The guide rail is held in place with special flat head M3 screws. A re-located hole near the end of the rail will need to be drilled and countersink to fit the special M3 screw. Beyond this, there is an anti-rotation guide groove and guide pin that will also need to be addressed.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Whalen View Post
    I hope this isn't a repeat - I attempted to search the forum for info beforehand... While I know it's possible to mount the F2 on the 6" rail only, but how practical would it be to use in the field? I have an interest in 65mm / 90mm lenses (120mm max) and nothing close up. I know the bag bellows would be more than useful. I'd prefer the sinar over a field due to the modular design (I know someone will suggest a field camera). Thanks ahead of time.

I've wanted to do this myself - I mean using the 6" rail as a base rail - and there is at least one instance I've seen of a custom made "male to female" adapter / "base rail conversion thingy", not a Sinar part AFAIK. Glennview comes to mind as one of the places I've seen something like this.

On page 19 of this Sinar catalog http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Sin...em_katalog.pdf is shown Special Rail Cap 428.31 which "Prevents unblocked standards from sliding off the rail when rail extension 423.21 or 424.21 is being used as a basic rail."
    I think I've seen these on eBay on rare occasion. Maybe they are still available new.

I don't know if they are available in the correct thread size, but I seem to remember seeing a hardware item which is more or less a really deep nut with threads inside. It seems one of those, a flat washer slightly larger than the rail diameter, and a short bolt would serve to keep the standard from sliding off the rail.

Len

Drew Wiley

All you need is a metal fender washer and the correct metric screw size, if you want to make your own.