Thread: Hi from a camper in Kansas!

Post Hi from a camper in Kansas!

Hi there! My name is Katherine, I'm new here and so I thought I would say "hi" and introduce myself before I dive in!

I live in Wichita, Kansas with my husband and together we bought a vintage travel trailer/camper and turned it into a large format photography studio and darkroom on wheels!

We tow it around, take people's portraits and develop them by hand. We use a Burke & James Saturn 75 with a 4x5 reducing back and right now we use a paper negative process to develop the pictures. We drew inspiration from the Afghan Box Camera and their processing style but basically in a little bit bigger box ; )

It's definitely been a learning experience and even after taking and developing almost 500 photos last year we're still coming up with new questions and new ways to streamline our system. We love the way they look and the consistency of the photos is great but when we're taking/developing 100 photos a day, the darkroom starts to get a little...backed up.

Right now it takes me about 10 minutes to develop two 4x5 photos but we're actually getting ready to try some new direct positive paper and see if that will cut down on developing time/confusion in the darkroom.

The only thing is, it's fiber based and as such, it requires a longer wash time. A LOT longer. Does anyone happen to know of any RC direct positive paper on the market? We've seen one mentioned that Ilford makes before but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, too!

Thanks!

http://lamphousephotoco.com
    www.lamphousephotoco.com

Re: Hi from a camper in Kansas!

interesting....Have you ever worked with a print stabilizing processor. make a print in 20 seconds and then fix for permanent 3 or 4 minutes tops ... newspapers used to use for very fast print making and cheap... i wonder if they have a positive paper for this...mmm

Hey! I know that camper! Love the setup. I've been wanting to do something similar with wet plate.

The direct positive paper is fiber and takes for ever to dry right. Plus you have to pre fog to be usable. I image shooting on paper works the same.

Yeah, I've heard of those, but to my knowledge no one makes the stabilizer paper anymore. It's too bad, it'd work perfectly for what we're doing.
    www.lamphousephotoco.com

Hey Steve. We've got a little box of the Direct Positive paper to try out, but yeah, drying has also been a concern of ours.
    www.lamphousephotoco.com