Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball head or geared head for a 4x5 camera?

Ball head or geared head for a 4x5 camera?

Hi

I just bought a Toyo 45AX and am looking to upgrade my current tripod for it - I currently have a Gitzo 1542T with a PhotoClam ballhead. Do people prefer one kind of head over the other (ballhead vs geared head)?

Thanks
    Anil

Re: Ball head or geared head for a 4x5 camera?

Hi Anil, of course there are preferences in choosing a head, which also means there is no definite answer to your question; I went for a levelling pan/tilt head, but then again my camera is quite heavy to begin with.

Hi Anil. I agree with mihag, a pan/tilt head has served me well. I have the Toyo 45A and use the Manfrotto 029 head with its quick release plates. I also have a Burke & James (wooden) 8x10, and the same head works fine for that too.

Ron

Thanks mihag and Ron, I had not considered a PT head. It probably makes sense, given the wider base of LF cameras (compared with a DSLR etc.).

Anil

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    Hi Anil, of course there are preferences in choosing a head, which also means there is no definite answer to your question; I went for a levelling pan/tilt head, but then again my camera is quite heavy to begin with.

I have both the Manfrotto 410 Jr. Geared head and the Gitzo G1570M pan tilt head with the large platform. I typically use the 410 head with my 4x5 and sometimes with my lightweight 5x7 (Rittreck View), and the Gitzo P/T head with my large 5x7 (Canham traditional).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manfrotto410_getriebeneiger_prod1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	110597 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g1570m-lg.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	110598

I own a heavy duty ball head but don't use it. I prefer sometning much more delberate that moves the camera one axis at a time for both DSLRs and 4x5. I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 geared head.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have a Toyo AX. I prefer to use a Manfrotto 410 with it. Like Dan, I use a Gitzo G1570M for bigger cameras.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a nice ballhead that I like with my Wista SP. I think the ballhead works well with a camera of that size, like your Toyo. It's a Cambo (I think) with a relatively large size ball and locks tightly.

With my monorail, (Arca, usually 8x10 lately) if I'm working with the rail at or close to horizontal, I mount the rail directly to the tripod with no head, or use a panoramic rotating clamp (arca type clamp).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I own a heavy duty ball head but don't use it. I prefer sometning much more delberate that moves the camera one axis at a time for both DSLRs and 4x5. I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 geared head.
    I like geared and pans-tilt heads for the same reason as Kirk. I hate getting close to the composition I want and then having to unlock everything. I'd rather be able to set each axis and get it right.
    -Chris

Here, no to ball heads, for anything. The geared head looks nice, but I'm also very happy with my Bogen 3057 pan tilt head, because I'm left handed and the tilt knob is on the left. It's a monster, though--I have it on my big tripod, where it goes better than on a small one.