Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On an iPAD Air what 4X5 lens does the camera app correspond to

SF Bay Area 94303

On an iPAD Air what 4X5 lens does the camera app correspond to

So you can use the iPAD as preView camera so to speak. I am guessing it would correspond to about a 135mm lens, but that is just a guess based on my 210 mm. Anyone have an more accurate determination? Is there some app that does that, maybe with lines for the various lens focal lengths?
    It obviously would not work for wide angles unless there is a wide angle attachment for the lens.

Re: On an iPAD Air what 4X5 lens does the camera app correspond to

I don't know about the iPad, but "artist's viewfinder" works very well on the iPhone: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/

It is quite flexible within the limits of the iPhone's camera, with viewfinders and lines for different (and customizable) formats and focal lengths. I think they also make an Alpa specific app.

Pretty pricey app ... $24.99 ... I read the"Details" section but was unable to determine if you could input individual focal lengths for different LF formats. Any info on that from somebody who's used this app?

The older version I use allows you to add any focal length lens and any format you please, including custom ones, but the camera's phone limits how wide you can go. On my iPhone I can get a medium wide (120mm on 4x5) lens without needing any wide angle attachment for phone. I got it for free and am not sure I would spend $25 on it, but it does what Kirk requested.

Hi,

I am a member of the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder team. I've just read your question and yes, you can add up to 20 individual custom focal lens per virtual camera. The Manual of the app is available here: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/

Regarding the wide limitations the Mark II supports wide converter lenses from ALPA, Schneider and olloclip - using them you can go up to 2x as wide as the phone alone would allow.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact me at support at direstudio dot com.

Cheers,
    Agnes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Pretty pricey app ... $24.99
    It's cheaper than the Linhof finder I use

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Very true...

I haven't used Artist's VF, I can't comment on it; but I have Viewfinder Pro, which is probably very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post

I have two of the newest generation of Linhof finders. After I got hooked on it, I bought a spare just to have it. It's lean and mean, takes very little thinking and needs no batteries. (I do have the Mark II app)

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I haven't used Artist's VF, I can't comment on it; but I have Viewfinder Pro, which is probably very similar.
    They are both made by the same person. Viewfinder Pro is an oder version and according to the App description it says "As of March 15, this app will no longer be available for download, and existing installations will not be updated to include new features or fixes."
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams