Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOD54 on Paterson Tank with a Uniroller bi-directional base

Photographer

MOD54 on Paterson Tank with a Uniroller bi-directional base

Hello there,

I am having a lot of problems developing 4x5 Ilford HP+5 film using the MOD54 on a Paterson Tank with a Uniroller base. The negatives came out all over developed, no contrast nor sharpening, all is mostly black. I am using a 1,000 ml solution of Ilfosol 3 diluted at 9:1 (I suspect that the developer is not the right one) but I will switch to DD-X on Tuesday. I develop at 6':30" as recommended by Ilford in its technical chart.

I want to use the rotary base (I do develop other film sizes with it) so to maintain some sort of consistency in my process.

Does anybody has any recommendation on:

1. 1.- Proper dilution of Ilfosol 3 and DD-X for the MOD54?
    2. 2.- Developer quantity (i.e. 1,000ML?) for the MOD54 on a Paterson 3 tank?
    3. 3.- Proper timing or adjustment on using a Uniroller base (bi-directional)?

I am keeping working on HP5+ until I get it right.

Many thanks for your kind support

Regards

Re: MOD54 on Paterson Tank with a Uniroller bi-directional base

Sounds like your main problem is developer related. When you get that sorted out, its important to know that you shouldn't be using rotary agitation with MOD54's. MOD54 specifically needs inversion agitation. The reason has to do with solution flow issues around the 'wings' that hold the film sheets when you use rotary agitation. If you rotary agitate, you will get streaks due to the uneven solution flow, vortices, etc. Using inversion agitation is specifically called out in the MOD54 documentation.

Photographer

Thumbs down Re: MOD54 on Paterson Tank with a Uniroller bi-directional base

Quote Originally Posted by TimHenrion View Post
    Sounds like your main problem is developer related. When you get that sorted out, its important to know that you shouldn't be using rotary agitation with MOD54's. MOD54 specifically needs inversion agitation. The reason has to do with solution flow issues around the 'wings' that hold the film sheets when you use rotary agitation. If you rotary agitate, you will get streaks due to the uneven solution flow, vortices, etc. Using inversion agitation is specifically called out in the MOD54 documentation.
    Tim,

Thanks. I tried with another developer, ID11 on a 1:1 dilution and with manual, slow inversion as explained in the website. The MOD54 is quite easy to load in the dark tent but I had better results using the taco method in a smaller tank (less chemicals and without the $59 price tag of the MOD54) with the same developers that I am using now.

I will try again tomorrow, I have yet to justify how much I paid for this (without accounting for the film and the developer used on testing this, but let's take it as the cost of learning).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

You will probably be unable to justify the cost of the Mod54 if you continue to use rotary processing as it was never designed for that mode of use. You would have been much better buying a Jobo Tank and 2509n reel which is specifically designed for rotary processing of 4x5 sheet film.

The best way of rotary processing sheet film is with a Jobo Expert drum, but these are very much more expensive and can take considerably more chemicals to ensure full coverage and even development

Quote Originally Posted by jrmst102 View Post
    Hello there,

I am having a lot of problems developing 4x5 Ilford HP+5 film using the MOD54 on a Paterson Tank with a Uniroller base. The negatives came out all over developed, no contrast nor sharpening, all is mostly black. I am using a 1,000 ml solution of Ilfosol 3 diluted at 9:1 (I suspect that the developer is not the right one) but I will switch to DD-X on Tuesday. I develop at 6':30" as recommended by Ilford in its technical chart.

I want to use the rotary base (I do develop other film sizes with it) so to maintain some sort of consistency in my process.

Does anybody has any recommendation on:

1. 1.- Proper dilution of Ilfosol 3 and DD-X for the MOD54?
    2. 2.- Developer quantity (i.e. 1,000ML?) for the MOD54 on a Paterson 3 tank?
    3. 3.- Proper timing or adjustment on using a Uniroller base (bi-directional)?

I am keeping working on HP5+ until I get it right.

Many thanks for your kind support

Regards
    Simply placing the paterson tank on a rotating base will not help or change the consistency of your process, compared to inversion. I am not at all sure how you can do this with any paterson tank, without the need for some major modifications, not to mention that if you are using a super system 4 tank, and it is FULL with 1L of chemistry, the risk of the lid popping off during process and all developer on the floor is high.

Using a processor, with a dedicated rotarty system tank, as has been suggested above might help, but might also not solve the problem. thousands of users are getting ok negs from MOD54, so if you are getting all black negs there are two options:
    1. You are over exposing
    2. You are over developing

Eliminate those 2 first before changing anything, then you can move on.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Simply placing the paterson tank on a rotating base will not help or change the consistency of your process, compared to inversion. I am not at all sure how you can do this with any paterson tank, without the need for some major modifications, not to mention that if you are using a super system 4 tank, and it is FULL with 1L of chemistry, the risk of the lid popping off during process and all developer on the floor is high.

Using a processor, with a dedicated rotarty system tank, as has been suggested above might help, but might also not solve the problem. thousands of users are getting ok negs from MOD54, so if you are getting all black negs there are two options:
    1. You are over exposing
    2. You are over developing

Eliminate those 2 first before changing anything, then you can move on.
    Dear Koh303,

Thanks for your kind insight.

I did the last two development yesterday using manual agitation as indicated in the MOD54 website. I found inconsistencies there and I used a different developer (ID11) in the last two cases. I am not using a rotary process with MOD54 anymore but manual, slow agitation. So far, I have found better results with the taco method and with tray development. I am exposing the same image (when I do test, I use the same subject with the same continuous light, in this case a flower vase against a backdrop with a main light) but over developing might be a possibility since I am following the manufacturer's direction (ID11 - 1:1, 13 minutes for HP5+ @ 400)

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Photographer

Dear Ed,

Thanks. I am considering a Jobo Expert Drum or a Jobo Tank. In the meantime, I am testing the MOD54 with manual inversion as suggested by the manufacturer in the MOD54.com site.

Regards

Ok two issues... For one... When you use continuous rotary agitation, you MUST reduce the time of development by 10%-15% ....

Second, the Paterson tank was not designed to be rotary processed so it will not hold the center post still, so it may rotate as the tank rotates, causing possible severely uneven development.

I own both the MOD54 and the 2509n so I'm familiar with both designs, MOD54 is way better for inversion development (and to me is much easier to load) the 2509n is way better for rotary and less good for inversion because of the amount of dev that is needed for inversion vs rotation.

Anyway I don't think you will be able to do what you're trying to without changing your tank to a JOBO tank that accepts the 2509n.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ok two issues... For one... When you use continuous rotary agitation, you MUST reduce the time of development by 10%-15% ....
    thats not exactly true and or relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I own both the MOD54 and the 2509n so I'm familiar with both designs, MOD54 is way better for inversion development (and to me is much easier to load) the 2509n is way better for rotary and less good for inversion because of the amount of dev that is needed for inversion vs rotation.

Anyway I don't think you will be able to do what you're trying to without changing your tank to a JOBO tank that accepts the 2509n.

Good luck!
    Didn't you just post a rant about people chiming in with what they do, what they own even when it has nothing to do with OP? I am only mentioning this due to the amount of times the word "I" and "me" appears in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmst102 View Post
    Dear Koh303,

Thanks for your kind insight.

I did the last two development yesterday using manual agitation as indicated in the MOD54 website. I found inconsistencies there and I used a different developer (ID11) in the last two cases. I am not using a rotary process with MOD54 anymore but manual, slow agitation. So far, I have found better results with the taco method and with tray development. I am exposing the same image (when I do test, I use the same subject with the same continuous light, in this case a flower vase against a backdrop with a main light) but over developing might be a possibility since I am following the manufacturer's direction (ID11 - 1:1, 13 minutes for HP5+ @ 400)

Thanks for your advice.

Regards
    I think there is a minor syntax issue here, but what i gather is that you are on the right track. In the OP you mentioned you got all back negs.
    Now it seems you are having uneven developing with the mod54 while good results form same batches of film in another method, is this correct?

If so, it is possible that you are experiencing what many other mod54 users find, its just not a perfect tool, and has some limitations, such as possible flow marks, surge patters etc, causing un even development. You should have however, gotten at least OK negatives, even if not perfect, regardless of developer or method.

If you are still having issues after your current test, please come back with clear flow of events, and the methods used, so that me or others can better try to help you find the problem.