Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for one week in central California

Re: Suggestions for one week in central California

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Any recommendations for where to stay in Lee Vining?
    Ansel Adams' family has a restored vintage motor court, IIRC, across the way from where the Marina used to be at Mono Lake on 395 a short ways out of town. Sorry I don't remember the name but others here will know it.
    I've stayed at Murphy's Motel and I thought it was nice. there is also the Tioga Pass Lodge just past the Yosemite gate, which would also be a good base for the 20 Lakes area if camping isn't your cup of java.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another scenic area is Virginia Lake---there is a lodge there serving great pies (if that is important to you)
    http://www.virginialakesresort.com/

and the camp ground across the road at Turnbull Lake is one of the best in the area IMHO (or at least it was the last time I camped there!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another interesting place along 395, Devil's Postpile.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Lone Pine and Death Valley are also places to consider

SF Bay Area 94303

Big Basin is often overlooked. First Big Trees saved from the wood cutters the Sierra Club. Just North of Santa Cruz.

Okay, so since this thread is still going, I'll paraphrase one of my old teachers, Carl Sharsmith.

One week in Central California? If I were you, I'd go sit under that big ol' Sequoia, by the rapids in that wild river, under that 10,000 foot canyon wall, on top of that 14,000 foot summit during a raging thunderstorm, out in that meadow counting wildflowers, deep in those sand dunes, watching those elephant seals sunning themselves on a rocky beach, or melt into that smooth granite wall warmed by the California sun – and cry.

You really need to determine what subjects interest you and be flexible enough so if weather or fires or park closures shut down one location, you can explore another with minimal down time.
    The weather in the Sierra, it's been said, is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom.

Bodie, Mono Lake, June Lake loop and Convict Lake are a few more spots worth the time.......and they are close to Yosemite. Carmel, Monterey, Point Lobos are good for costal access.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Okay, so since this thread is still going, I'll paraphrase one of my old teachers, Carl Sharsmith.

One week in Central California? If I were you, I'd go sit under that big ol' Sequoia, by the rapids in that wild river, ... and cry.

Well no big Sequoia here but a big Oak along the San Joaquin on a Sunday afternoon in early spring.

Thomas

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have decided to keep it simple: One week in Yosemite valley; five days for hikes off the Tioga pass road; two days on the coast, including a visit to San Simeon.