Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 linhof

5x7 linhof

Can anyone tell me what model this is and anything that I should look out for when buying one such as levers that are prone to be missing etc. All my current cameras are wooden field cameras and I know nothing about these "press style" cameras.

It has been offered to me with a linhof select 150mm Xenar (no lens board) a box of fp4 and a film holder. Does $800 sound about right, too much or "grab it quick"?

Thanks
    Bruce

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140211_131555.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	110260

Re: 5x7 linhof

Technika II no parts or accessories have been made for it in decades. Buyer beware

is it 5x7 or 13x18?

ie: will it take regular 5x7 holders?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    is it 5x7 or 13x18?

ie: will it take regular 5x7 holders?
    Yes it comes with 1 Fidelity film holder with the plastic tabs

The 150 Xenar is an odd choice for 5x7 - it's intended for 4x5, is specified to cover 180mm at f/16 and infinity focus while 5x7 requires a minimum of around 210mm. Without testing it, I wouldn't assume that it will cover 5x7 with decent quality even if stopped down further.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The 150 Xenar is an odd choice for 5x7 - it's intended for 4x5, is specified to cover 180mm at f/16 and infinity focus while 5x7 requires a minimum of around 210mm. Without testing it, I wouldn't assume that it will cover 5x7 with decent quality even if stopped down further.
    I would move the lens on. ..It isn't something that I want.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    I would move the lens on. ..It isn't something that I want.

Bruce
    unless you can get 250/300 for the lens.. that's just a bit steep for that camera

we've all seen them listed for 2500 on ebay..( I picked mine up from keh at a ridulous price)...but if you look around - you can find a tech 3 for about that

BUT.. despite there being no parts available - you could shoot the hell out of that camera

It's Linhof's fault for making them so bombproof..they last way past their repair parts availability

expect to pay 40 -80 for lensboards though

That price strikes me as plenty high, but I'm not familiar enough with that vintage Linhof to tell you what a good price would be. You can search Sold listings on eBay to get an idea what the Xenar is worth. My guess is somewhere in the range of $150-200, but it will depend on age and condition of lens and shutter.

Look closely at the fit of the film holder in the back to make sure the "modern" 5X7 holder does work. Also there is a slight chance the plane of the ground glass and the film plane of the holder aren't the same. Maybe someone who knows early Linhofs can comment on that.

The main thing to check is the condition of the bellows. A small flashlight moved around inside the bellows in a darkened room is a must. If there are pinholes in the corners of the bellows it may be possible to patch them, but it may end up needing a new bellows. That may cost $300 or so (admittedly a wild guess).

Len

I got my Technika III 5x7 with a nice boyer sapphir lens for $500 2 years ago....

Just for info, a 5X7 Technika III was sold for $875 on APUG few days ago (210mm Xenar and linhof tripod included).