Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

  1. #1
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,611

    Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    My Packard shutter has a failed 120 volt solenoid. I need to find a cheap and simple replacement. I don't have a piston and bulb setup for it and my hands often fail with Packard bulb actuation.

    I am looking for something modern and cheap. Looks like I only need 5 to 6 mm of pull with spring return. I have considered Radio Control model servos and all that entails, but that is pretty complicated for a simple linear solenoid replacement.

    Has anybody found an available replacement? Amazon sells these in 24 volt for $15, but I prefer to hear of successful conversions. Lower voltage would be nice.

    Since it is going on a stationary studio camera, a wired bulky solution is fine.

    The worn out solenoid I removed has no source info and is big, 1.5x1x4". Overkill that doesn't work. I can use any voltage. Not 220...

    The shutter control lever moves easily, heck, slight air pressure opens these ingenious devices.

    I also will be adding a microswitch for flash sync, that's the easy part. Made in Japan parts delivered for $3. How do they do that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN3999.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	110109

  2. #2
    C. D. Keth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    thesolenoidcompany.com almost certainly has something that will work.
    -Chris

  3. #3
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,611

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    They do have many options and I learned a permanent magnet latching solenoid will stay open without continuous power. Many solenoids I have seen elsewhere tonight have 1 minute pulled in duty cycles which would not be enough for my slow focusing technique.

    But ordering one from UK may not be cheap.

    Thanks for the link!

    Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    thesolenoidcompany.com almost certainly has something that will work.

  4. #4
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    I have used Ledex solenoids, usually the rotor type. Making the offset disc to convert to push or pull is trivial.

    http://www.ledex.com/

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    927

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    Randy,

    I second the idea to use a rotary solenoid from Ledex, smaller footprint and easy to work with.

    As for duty cycle, this is what I do with my electric Packard shutters.

    I've converted all of them to 24 volt DC if they were not already working on that voltage. Some of them are rotary, others linear plungers with a return spring.

    I actuate them with a pulse of 48 volt and keep them open with a voltage of 12 volt. The pulse improves opening time a bit and the lower voltage to keep the solenoid in the open position reduces the power through the solenoid 4-fold and minimizing the release time a tiny fraction ;-)

    The pulse is generated by charging a capacitor through a resistor up to 48 volt coming from a power supply. The charging resistor is 3 times the value of the solenoid wire resistance in my implementations. The capacitor is a 63 volt electrolytic cap, I've used 220uF to 1000uF depending on the size (resistance) of the solenoid.

    The solenoid is connected to the capacitor through a single pole switch. Upon contact the capacitor discharges the full 48 volt in a few milliseconds through the solenoid which opens and for most solenoids 1/2 rated voltage is sufficient to keep the solenoid fully open.

    YMMV

  6. #6
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    I couldn't make what Amedeus described if my life depended on it.

    But, for the last Ledex solenoid driven shutter I made I kept the shutter open for focusing using a straight rod to the actuator and simply locked it in place, and released it before exposure. Simple, not sophisticated. Might have a photo of it if you like.

  7. #7
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,611

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    So easy to say, 'Yes please Jac', I would love a photo of it.

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I couldn't make what Amedeus described if my life depended on it.

    But, for the last Ledex solenoid driven shutter I made I kept the shutter open for focusing using a straight rod to the actuator and simply locked it in place, and released it before exposure. Simple, not sophisticated. Might have a photo of it if you like.

  8. #8
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,611

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    Got it. Good ideas all around. The existing 117 volt solenoid also has a resistor and capacitor wired to it, for similar purposes, I think.

    Magnetic latching seems to be a good idea. I am also looking into RC model servos like this. Not sure yet how to actuate them. I guess just hit it with juice. The opening speed is slow at 0.17 sec at 5 vdc, which will give me a fast shutter speed of ~1/3 second, with long exposures of any length. Cost is good. http://www.amazon.com/Sunkee-Tower-M...=rc+boat+servo

    Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Randy,

    I second the idea to use a rotary solenoid from Ledex, smaller footprint and easy to work with.

    As for duty cycle, this is what I do with my electric Packard shutters.

    I've converted all of them to 24 volt DC if they were not already working on that voltage. Some of them are rotary, others linear plungers with a return spring.

    I actuate them with a pulse of 48 volt and keep them open with a voltage of 12 volt. The pulse improves opening time a bit and the lower voltage to keep the solenoid in the open position reduces the power through the solenoid 4-fold and minimizing the release time a tiny fraction ;-)

    The pulse is generated by charging a capacitor through a resistor up to 48 volt coming from a power supply. The charging resistor is 3 times the value of the solenoid wire resistance in my implementations. The capacitor is a 63 volt electrolytic cap, I've used 220uF to 1000uF depending on the size (resistance) of the solenoid.

    The solenoid is connected to the capacitor through a single pole switch. Upon contact the capacitor discharges the full 48 volt in a few milliseconds through the solenoid which opens and for most solenoids 1/2 rated voltage is sufficient to keep the solenoid fully open.

    YMMV

  9. #9
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    So easy to say, 'Yes please Jac', I would love a photo of it.

    Thanks!
    I must hook-up an old hard drive to find it, and I will tomorrow. In words, what I used is a model aircraft mech (those designers are amazing) and a simple hardware latch to hold it open.

    I used it for a wide-angle 8x10 Sky Camera I built long ago.

    Later!

  10. #10
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,611

    Re: Need Packard shutter solenoid mod

    Sounds cool!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I must hook-up an old hard drive to find it, and I will tomorrow. In words, what I used is a model aircraft mech (those designers are amazing) and a simple hardware latch to hold it open.

    I used it for a wide-angle 8x10 Sky Camera I built long ago.

    Later!

Similar Threads

  1. Adapting a Compur shutter with HR solenoid to work with modern strobes
    By ArchersTest in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1-Mar-2013, 13:10
  2. Electric shutter solenoid
    By Edward Schrock in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2000, 00:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •