Hello,

I have had a Tachihara 4x5, it was a great beauty but I had to sold it due to financial hardship. I currently own a Canon DSLR systems but I am looking to come back to 4x5 photography. Based on my experience with the Tachihara, I am looking for:

(a) Portability
(b) Quality
(c) Easy of use

In no particular order. In spite that I mostly used the Tachihara for portraits and landscapes, I am looking to work mainly portraits with the 4x5.

In a recent survey of what is available in the market, I have found the Tachihara to be particularly expensive, and Wista and similar cameras are either expensive or in need to serious TLC.

I have also found a Calumet Cambo, Calumet NX, Sinar F and similar rail cameras that are sold as "field" cameras. I have not experience with them but they are in my budget. In particular, the Calumet fits my budget very well.

Could I get advise on which camera (Calumet, Sinar, Toyo View, etc.) would be the most natural transition from a Tachihara? I know that these are not apples versus apples but if I can find an affordable camera that is also portable, with a reasonable good quality and easy of use, I will consider it in lieu of a Tachihara or a Wista.

I am already aware of differences such as:

(a) Cherry wood versus plastic or metal
(b) Folding versus rail
(c) Rotating back versus fixed back
(d) Fitting in a small backpack versus fitting in a carrying case or backpack with rails

But I am curious about whether a Calumet Cambo, NX, Sinar F can be used as a "field" camera. I will appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

Regards