Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a 4x5 Field Camera - Suggestions?

Photographer

Re: Looking for a 4x5 Field Camera - Suggestions?

I wish, as matter of fact, I bought mine when living in London (and earning in GBP) from Midwest Photo Exchange. But now I am earning US$ and they are now out of reach for me!.

I should have never sold my Tachihara in first place.

Thanks

Photographer

I tried to get ahold of a Sinar F after reading your posts but somebody else outbid me in eBay. So, I got a Calumet NX. I read some great comments about the Sinar F and F1 in this forum.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    They do come up for sale on occasion. The problem is that they are a newer brand so there are not as many produced yet as some other brands. Also the people who buy Chamonix cameras seem to really like them and hold on to them.

You could post in the Forum's for sale section that you are looking for one. Maybe someone has one they are willing to part with.
    Dear Alan,

Thanks. I got a Calumet NX today.

Next quest : lenses

Regards

Photographer

Ciao

My teacher Yoke Matze had a Arca Swiss and I learned there before moving with a Tachihara. I never tried a Chamonix or a Wista. Will consider as well Giovanni. In the meantime, I got ahold of a mint Calumet NX and will focus on the lens before trying to get a more field camera such as the Tachihara (or Chamonix, Wista or Zone VI).

Grazie Giovanni,

Photographer

Alan,

Thanks, what are you using for instant film? I have an Polaroid 545i and found that the film is not longer available ( I know, it was back in 2007 when I was using 4x5 and the film was available, at least at my local store).

Do you have the new Fuji Instant Film Holder, Polaroid 550 or are you still sourcing film for the 545?

Thanks again

Regards

I don't shoot instant film so I have no advice to offer there. I started with large format 4 years ago and Polaroid quit making film soon after.

Congratulations on your Calumet NX. Since you mentioned possibly buying a field camera down the line, I would keep my eye open for a Cambo to Technika board. Tachihara's, Chamonix's Shen Hao's, and Wista's all use Technika style boards so you could easily swap your lenses from your monorail to your field camera.

The general consensus here about lenses is to buy a "normal" focal length lens, shoot a lot of film with it and then decide what focal lengths you want later. I agree with this advice although I didn't follow it. I bought the 75mm I thought I wanted right away only to sell it later and replace it with a 90mm.

A "normal" focal length is considered to be 135mm through 180mm. Some add the 210mm lens and call it a "long normal". The 210 is very popular for portraiture so you might consider it. My advice is to buy a clean Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fujinon or Caltar in an accurate modern Copal shutter.

What lens did you use with your Tachihara? Were you happy with it or did you feel you wanted something a little longer or shorter?

I have a 4x5 field camera for landscapes. For portraits, I use a Mamiya 7. The 4x5 is too slow. What is important in portraits is not to miss the elusive moment in which the person photographed opens up. I find it too difficult to do it with a view camera, unless I use a digital back.