Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Schneider lenses at 2004 photokina

New Schneider lenses at 2004 photokina

There is a short press release at Schneider Kreuznachs German web site about their new products for the upcoming photokina:

<a href="http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/photokina/news_2004_e.htm">http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/photokina/news_2004_e.htm<a>

Two lenses for ULF users ("Fine Art XXL" 550 and 1100mm) and 2 new Apo-Digitars.

Wow, neat stuff for the ULF users. That 550mm f11 XXL with a 900mm image circle looks mighty impressive (it makes my 600mm Fujinon C with it's "little" 620mm image circle look puny by comparison). In the photo, it makes the Copal No. 3 shutter look tiny. Any idea what size filters it takes? Also, any idea on the pricing for these two new marvels of optical engineering?

This announcement really caught me by surprise, and I applaud Schneider for continuing to turn out new lenses for us large format shooters - and targeted at the ULF crowd, no less. Kudos to Schneider!

Kerry

Wow, indeed. I think this announcement caught a lot of people by surprise including US Schneider reps. The one that deals with my local dealer told him about the software but had no notion at all about the new lenses.

Now idea what the filter size is - 110, 125, 135mm, estimating from the pics? 900mm image circle with a focal length of 550mm means a coverage close to 80°, I wonder what construction that is (Plasmat, Super-Angulon type?). It looks close to symmetric on the pictures. No idea about the pricing, but the line "The new XXL product line is the result of exclusive, small-scale manufacturing" probably means its not cheap. With the partial brass construction they seem to follow Cooke's lead in mount design....

Looks like I may have to update my "Future Classics" page. Back when I first proposed a list of Future Classics on rec.photo.equipment.large-format (exactly seven years ago yesterday), I mainly focused on lenses for 4x5 (and to lesser extent, 5x7). Back then, most current lenses for 8x10 were either standard plasmats, Super Angulon clones, and the occasional Tessar and Artar type. All good lenses, but nothing spectacularly unusual. Since that time, Schneider has introduced the 210mm Super Symmar XL and now these new Fine Art XXL lenses. Cooke has re-entered the large format market with their soft focus lens and now an updated version of their classic triple convertible.

Funny how when the digital crowd is constantly pronouncing the imminent "death of film", we suddenly have more choices in large format and ULF cameras and lenses than anytime in recent memory. I have yet to see a CCD or CMOS sensor that requires a 900mm image circle - and I shudder to think what one would cost.

These new lenses from Schneider, as well as the new Cooke lenses, are bound to become collectors items highly sought after in the future.

Kerry

At 2.35Kg it would rip the front standard of my 8x10 tachihara in to million pieces..

very impressive specs. indeed..

""Every first-time buyer can have his name engraved on the nameplate ring of the elegant brass mount at no charge (later owners may also have this done at cost). ""

Wow!

Doug Dolde

Anyone see pricing on these? I bet it's over the top.

I wonder if they will take my Honda as a trade-in?

Beverly Hills, California

Napolean himself once said: "There's a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous."