Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford MGIV & Se toning color shift

Ilford MGIV & Se toning color shift

Is it just my imagination or has anyone else noticed that newer batches of Ilford MGIV fiber seem to give a greater color shift with Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner than the paper used to produce with that toner? My procedure has not changed. As always, it entails sodium sulfite, plain water, and the toner at about 15:1. (Yeah, I know 20:1 is the recommended standard, but I go stronger because I put several prints through each bath, and believe the added strength facilitates protection to the high values.) Thanks.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Re: Ilford MGIV & Se toning color shift

This will soon be moot as Ilford has discontinued this paper, in favor of Multigrade FB Classic. I haven't yet tried it, but have read that the "Classic" is supposed to be more responsive to toning.

Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    This will soon be moot as Ilford has discontinued this paper, in favor of Multigrade FB Classic. I haven't yet tried it, but have read that the "Classic" is supposed to be more responsive to toning.
    I'm sure it's basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    Thanks for the info regarding MGIV. I talked to Glazers. They don't have the new MGFB Classic in stock, but Freestyle does. Not surprisingly, the price is higher. For those who may be interested, here is the spec sheet for the new paper:
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...6121925810.pdf

N. Riley

Drew Wiley

The new paper is not basically the same. Both the density range and response to toning have been conspicuously improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The new paper is not basically the same. Both the density range and response to toning have been conspicuously improved.
    Maybe on paper (pun intended) but, not according the reviews I've read.

Drew Wiley

I don't know what reviews I've read. Several of us have posted on more than one forum our own early results. One needs to test these things with respect to their
    own expectations. And for my own needs, there have been conspicuous improvements. Just buy some and test for yourself.

I've now printed on the new MGFB Classic paper. I conclude that there is almost no difference between MGIV and FB Classic (at least not for my usual FP4 in PMK negative). The stock is the same in weight and color. Induction time is the same, there is no noticeable difference in speed that I could see, the blacks seem equivalent, and dry-down is essentially the same. The only real difference I found in my darkroom is that MGFB classic definitely gives a more pronounced color shift with Kodak Rapid Se toner than MGIV did.

N. Riley

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    I've now printed on the new MGFB Classic paper. I conclude that there is almost no difference between MGIV and FB Classic (at least not for my usual FP4 in PMK negative). The stock is the same in weight and color. Induction time is the same, there is no noticeable difference in speed that I could see, the blacks seem equivalent, and dry-down is essentially the same. The only real difference I found in my darkroom is that MGFB classic definitely gives a more pronounced color shift with Kodak Rapid Se toner than MGIV did.

N. Riley
    See.

Drew Wiley

My idea of "see" is using my own eyes in my own darkroom. I won't step over the line of contradicting what is stated above... just yet.... because I've mainly been
    printing the new Cooltone MG version, which is also officially replacing MGIV.... And it is a DISTINCTLY different animal from MGIV. And based on the published tech
    sheets, the Neutral tone has more in common with Cooltone than with MGIV, so I'm expecting a distinction there too. But per adjacent post on the Calif drought,
    am realistically pacing my printing session. We're officially on rationing, though not in an area where water quality per se will be affected, or where we are expected
    to outright run out any time soon.