Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be your step up from a Press camera?

What would be your step up from a Press camera?

I have used a Press 4x5 camera before and I am ready to step it up a bit. What is your choice ? : brand/size/wood or metal/etc.

Thanks

J durr

Re: What would be your step up from a Press camera?

Unless there is a specific need, then there's no reason to get another LF camera.
    Get a Sony RX100 and keep it ready in your pocket.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Late model all wood Burke & James, the type with aluminum uprights with two retaining wheels on the back uprights. These are basically low-end Deardorffs, and because they can't get any respect, they go for dirt cheap. They fold small, are reasonably light, have huge bellows extension and full studio movements. They are well made, precise where it counts, and the things that are lacking can easily be shimmed into more precision. The one place they lack is for really wide angles, not being able to fit a W/A bellows, but I can use a 90mm on my 5x7 if I don't need movements. Graflok backs have cache', but this camera doesn't have one, and what do you really need one for? It's not like you're going to put on a Graflex roll back and leave it as you do on a press camera--a slide in Calumet roll back is much more convenient, anyway. Be sure you get one with the bed extension included!

Well, MY step would be a Master Technika 3000 - but your choice might be a different one!

What are you missing on your current camera? What annoys you?

I'd go along with the 5x7 / 4x5 B&J. I've had one for a few years now and can't really fault it. If you can get an extension bed get it but they're good as they are. Don't listen to the critics. I bought mine from a photographer in The U.S and even after shipping and customs I still think that I got a bargain. 5x7 is a nice portable format as well.
    Pete.

If that press camera is a late model 4X5 Crown or Speed Graphic, investigate the Toyo system or other systems that provide adapter lens boards to take the Grapic boards.

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    I have used a Press 4x5 camera before and I am ready to step it up a bit. What is your choice ? : brand/size/wood or metal/etc.

Thanks

J durr
    What's your subject matter?

I have hard to find a better camera than a Crown Graflex for all types of work
    Wood camera look great if you have clients.

Dave

Thanks

J durr

Thanks

J durr

Depends what you intend to do with it. There was another thread where the advantages/disadvantages of FIELD vs. VIEW camera models was discussed. If you value the field portability of your press camera, then getting a better version of a Field camera model might be best. If on the other hand you want to do mostly studio work or drive-up location work, then getting a view camera (studio or monorail type) would be best.

Once you have that figured out, the question on whether to move up in size to 5x7 or larger will be much easier to answer.

eh..you've loaded sheet film...so

just jump right into 8x20 or whatever - it's basically the same only slower