Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef How much time?

Re: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef How much time?

Were you on the Shafer Trail by any chance? From the Youtube videos it's pretty hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Ron, if that was me, I'd spend most of the time in Capitol Reef. That might have to do with the fact that I've seen Arches and Canyonlands. The latter two are easily accessible and more people flock to them. I lacked the exploration time for the CF.

Not sure if anyone here had this type of raw experience, but one of the roads in Canyonlands that hugged this steep cliff was incredibly slick. It was after sizable rain and the road felt like butter (no asphalt). Going up or down was equally bad and there were no guardrails or even larger stones to prevent one from rolling 500' down. I was driving v. slow and not making any sudden moves....and I was hugging the cliff's side pretty much. At one point I stopped and my hatchback slowly slid sideways (with the slope of the road) and touching the wall of the cliff. I got out of there in one piece, but little shaken up by all of this. The hatchback had a minor side dent as a result of this. Not trying to put any fear into anyone....just hoping that road has been improved.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    ...Not sure if anyone here had this type of raw experience, but one of the roads in Canyonlands that hugged this steep cliff was incredibly slick. It was after sizable rain and the road felt like butter (no asphalt)...
    Les is right, that's the famous slick mud of canyon country, typical of the region after a rain, thanks to the special geology. It's like a thin veneer that's slick as ice, both for hiking boots and vehicle tires. The good news is that traction returns, say, 30 or 60 minutes after the cloud burst. "Slickrock country" indeed! It has stopped me a few times, even where it's level, both as a hiker and a driver.

Capitol Reef is great (less crowds), and highway 12 from Torrey to Escalante is a must do at least some time in your life. The road from Boulder(UT) to Escalante is a visual orgasm!

And, as previously mentioned, Edward Abbey's, Desert Solitaire, is a must read and David Roberts book on the Anassazi (sp?) is pretty good too.

Drew Wiley

Either a week of hard driving or a lifetime of experiences. Do the week, get addicted, and keep coming back!

Les

Yes, that looks like the trail you mentioned, Ron. If I was to do this again, I'd make sure there was no rain for 3 days or in forecast (tough to do in the high elevations). That said, the views from there are incredible....especially around sunset (light bouncing off the red clay).

Les

Drew Wiley

Yeah, that would be a bit spooky if the clay were slick from rain. I grew up on one-lane roads just as precipitous, and still found that one less than tempting, since
    granite and slickrock are completely different animals, and appropriately named.

A sense of discovery for oneself is something to take into consideration. It's not hard to find out of the way places without someone else's footprints, even within the parks mentioned here. I've traveled all over Utah since 1982 on some severely rough roads (I thought the Schafer Trail wasn't that hard, but I once drove down into a canyon exactly like the topography in the Roadrunner cartoons - it still makes me sweat). In canyon country flexibility is a must, but the opportunities for adventure are unlimited.

I haven't seen a mention here yet of one of the best resources - park rangers. They share great advice and knowledge of the places they really love. They know local trail and weather conditions in detail. Ask a backcountry ranger, they'll tell you more than you want to know about hiking and jeep trails. Be cautious yet curious, and you will have memorable experiences.

I've been to all three, and really like them all. Since Arches and the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands are so close, there is a lot of visual "bang for the buck" in the Moab area. If you do go to Island in the Sky, and are up for the hike, I highly recommend a visit to "False Kiva". The view from inside the alcove is spectacular. The hike down is not too long, but steep with loose rocks in spots. Capitol Reef will certainly be less crowded than the others.

Although it may be a bit out of the way depending on your travel route, I would concur with the recommendation to drive UT 12 between Torrey, Boulder, and Escalante.

Bob

Since you won't have time to finish any of them, make sure you get at least some time in all of them, so you are better prepared for when you come back. Which you will.
    Paul Stubblebine
    serious student

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Capitol Reef is great (less crowds), and highway 12 from Torrey to Escalante is a must do at least some time in your life. The road from Boulder(UT) to Escalante is a visual orgasm!

And, as previously mentioned, Edward Abbey's, Desert Solitaire, is a must read and David Roberts book on the Anassazi (sp?) is pretty good too.
    and Craig Child's House of Rain.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"