Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B/W Light temperature?

Big Negs Rock!

Re: B/W Light temperature?

Right on Drew. There are color corrected bulbs and fixtures you can buy. The ones in the stores like Home Depot work well, but the fixtures from companies like Kino-Flo are very accurate.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

B/W Light temperature?

Most of film manufacturers publish the spectral response of each film and although basic color meters, typically used outdoors just compare red and blue, the real ones measures each channel individually, including the green. After all, pan emulsions gets energy from all the wavelengths in the visible spectrum so all energy should be considered.
    Again, check the specs of the emulsion in the manufacturer's web site and it should show if any exposure compensation is needed under different light conditions.

Alex Timmermans, the collodion artist, has to be concerned about the amount of ultraviolet in his light sources. As Mark Woods points out, without special dyes to make the emulsion panchromatic, collodion is "blue-sensitive". Since the alternative processes get most of the exposure they need from light that your eyes (and your usual meter) can't see, you can't trust an ordinary meter reading to calculate the correct exposure for collodion. So light sources that give a lot of ultraviolet are really important for that process, and exposure is still experimentally determined.

I just picked up a small ultraviolet meter (you know the type, designed for sunburn prevention). It reads fine by sunshine, but just inside the car windshield it goes down to zero. So maybe my car windshield is designed to block UV light, or maybe the UV is blocked by ordinary windowglass. Anyway you can always block the UV with a UV filter and then you won't have to wonder about exposure compensation in the mountains. I found the meter got a reading from a couple inches away from a 500w photoflood, a big 40watt CFL and a specialized UV light source that I have. But I couldn't get it to read above zero by enlarger light, "60 watt equivalent" LED, CFL and halogen bulbs. I don't think these lightbulbs give significant ultraviolet - of the type that would affect your exposure --- to a panchromatic film.

Paraphrasing what I read in an old LP Clerc's Photography book (I can pull out the reference if you are interested), when films were given different Tungsten and Daylight ratings, it wasn't that film has different speeds in different lights... it was to compensate for a quirk in earlier (Selenium Solar Cell) light meters - they are very responsive to the warm light of Tungsten... The old meters were more sensitive to red light than film. So to ensure that you don't underexpose (because the meter needle is too high for the actual light)... Manufacturers suggested different (lower) film speed ratings for Tungsten (the "so-called" Tungsten speed was never an ASA speed).

I confirmed that explanation for myself using an old Weston Master II exposure meter. By Tungsten it tells me there is more light than my more modern Sekonic thinks - while in daylight the two meters agree fairly well.

My experiments tell me modern meters and modern panchromatic films do not need different Exposure Index settings for Tungsten vs. Daylight. (Though in the mountains I might add a UV filter to help tame excess ultraviolet). But when you experiment with old processes, old ortho or x-ray films, or old meters... Then you really have to think about Tungsten vs. Daylight speeds.

Mark Woods, I'd be interested to know if the 1/3 stop difference you quoted is still relevant for modern film and equipment. You have the experience and may be quoting carefully-conducted experiments. I work for Kodak, but I do these experiments for my own enjoyment at home, not using EKC equipment. I could easily be off by 2/3 stop, and I believe you may have done similar tests to a higher standard.

Here is an example of which DW writes above:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spectrum-9-07a.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	109161

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Bill,

I wrote a paper/article for the Camera Guild (Local 600) 15 or so years ago. I made exposures in both daylight and tungsten light and read the results on a densitometer, then plotted the RG&B emulsions. That's where I learned that the imaging characteristics of the blue emulsion had been partially shifted to the green emulsion. I won't get into the reason why, but the HS emulsions were redesigned. I discussed this with the Kodak engineer, Alan Masson (now retired), in Hollywood. He confirmed my results. I also did a CT test with my Minolta Spot Meter 5 from about 10,000*K to about 1700*K (the approximate CT of a candle flame). The meter was reasonably accurate in daylight and to 3200*K, but began to give low readings for exposure, i.e., indicated there was more light then there actually was, as the CT went lower. At the 1700*K range it was a stop off -- the film would be underexposed if the meter reading were used. The article is title, Candle Light to Daylight. Here's a link to it: https://cameraguild.com/member-resou...-daylight.aspx The Wikipedia article on Color Temperature is also quite good. The reason for the shift, according to my friend Alan, is the meter sensor is based on a narrow band green sensitivity and is "color blind" to the warmer tones. I spoke to my friend Cinematographer Alan Daviau, he told me that his mentors told him to open up as the sun set, and the closer to the horizon it was the more he opened up the stop. He said he didn't know why, but it worked.

I hope this helps.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Mark Woods,

Thanks! I really enjoyed the article. You explained the point the meter responds to the "near-green red" more than the film does... And this confirms that the need for a "Tungsten" rating is to compensate for light meters which overestimate light as you approach the color temperature of candlelight.

The problem could be solved if a light meter were designed to agree more closely to film's response. In the conclusion of your article you give a rule of thumb to give one additional stop of exposure as the sun hits the horizon.

I agree, that's our answer here.

Big Negs Rock!

Thanks Bill. I think I got out of being a cinematographer at the right time now that most things are electronically acquired. I was thinking about this the other day that the amount of knowledge I have is obsolete in what was my profession. Fortunately I can use it with my 8x10 Deardorff. :-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Drew Wiley

Somewhere I have on hand the published spectrogram of the sensitivity of the kind of light meter I premdominantly use (Pentax digital spotmeter). This was very important information because of the frequent reliance of the cine industry on this particular meter. But it also happens to be a meter with a peak spectral sensitivity analogous to human vision, in the green. Minolta light meters seem to have been very similar. Of course, you had Fred Picker's ole tweak on the Pentax, alleging to
    make it more suitable for "typical" pan black-and-white films. But that subject has been hashed over many times before.