Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Lens Maker--ID help needed

Dutch Lens Maker--ID help needed

I have in hand an

„Astra“ Aplanastigmaat F8 nš 2

a brass lens made by the 'Fabriek van Fotografische Producten, Amsterdam' in the Netherlands

Images of the lens and its construction can be found here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritag...57640054041015

I am wondering if anyone has seen other lenses by that manufacturer and has information on that company? All and any help and suggestions are very much welcome!

Dirk

[edit/add]
    I have pulled together what I have been able to find so far in this sandbox (to eventually become an entry in camera-wiki):
    http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/User:Her...sche_Producten
    Last edited by heritagefutures; 23-Jan-2014 at 07:59. Reason: added link

Re: Dutch Lens Maker--ID help needed

Obviously they took a lot of trouble with the engraving. But their photographic production could have limited to dry plates, for instance!

What worries me is the high serial number - they couldn't have "made" this quantity of lenses without there being far more mention of their name in the literature. Some lesser makers/agents thought that high numbers give customer kudos! Aplan......... was a very popular french tradename at the time.

Believe it or not, I have used an A.L. Pipon, Aplanascope 18x24 this morning for the first time!

Perhaps Alex knows something?

Hi Steven
    Thanks for the comment… indeed, not totally clear what they were producing, as little information seems to be available on them.

and yes, I too think that the high serial number is purely fictitious. I am just not sure whether the whole lens is a a rebadged OEM product, or whether it is foreign glass in a Dutch-made housing...

And yes, Aplanastigmat / Aplanastigmatique was a name used, for example, by Hermagis. But when you take the lens apart, it does not look like the Hermagis / Darlot / Berthiot / Derogy and Mazo I have taken apart…

PS
    As to Pipon, see here ;-)

The front lens on my Pipon is mounted rather oddly from the back. There is an internal knurled ring which is almost flush with the back of the mount. I have discovered a flower/fern type balsam problem, whilst checking this out for you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 23-Jan-2014 at 09:43. Reason: attached bad ipad photo

Very nice Steven... yes that internal knurled ring which is almost flush with the back of the mount is like the way the Amsterdam lens is made (see here).
    This a rabbit hole worth chasing down...my Pipon is different as it's a wide angle constriction...and the Orthoscopique I have is in storage and inaccessible ...else I would check it's construction right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I have discovered a flower/fern type balsam problem, whilst checking this out for you!
    and sorry you ran into a flower/fern type balsam problem…the Amsterdam lens also suffers from that see here...

Balsam is a problem I enjoy! I redo about a dozen a year and while I enjoying the weather in Spain, an old Dallmeyer and Jamin are soaking in xylol back in cold Denmark!

I know that Pipon is usually registered as a lens maker - but I think this was bought-in lens to fit on a bought-in 18x24 camera. It has slight marks in the lacquer where someone has made a guide for the size of the engraving. That is, made after the lens was was fully lacquered. Perhaps from the same source as yours?

WOW, so you redo the balsam.. hard to do?

No - plenty here under balsam (search).

So, Heritage, this lens is really messed up. I will be happy to help you dispose of it..Mail it to me and I will make sure it goes in the landfill...eventually..