Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses i was just given, please.

Question Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses i was just given, please.

I received a few lenses from a a neighbor of mine who knows I am into photography. He got them from a friend who was clearing up a family home before being sold. I would appreciate any fee back on them, what folks on this forum think of them, if they have used them, if they like or dislike them, what format might they best suited for, anything. I am familiar with a couple but have never shot with any of them. I have both a 4x5 (zone VI & Toyo 45g and an 8x10 Deardorff Commercial Studio Camera that I can use with them). I am still a novice at Large format and would appreciate any feedback from the members of this forum. Thank You. I am also posting pictures of them:
    1) G. Gennert 6 1/2 inch f:6.8 Series III No. 3a Sylvar Lens (I've read that this could be a Goerz lens but not sure since I could not verify it)
    2) SEROCO Anastigmat Series V f:6.8 8x10 lens ( I read this is a Sear Roebuck Branded lens but also a Goez Lens-again, I can not verify if it is a Goerz lens rebranded)
    3) Seneca Convertible Anastigmat Series I F:6.3 Focus 6 1/2 Inch ( on the shutter it states 16ft Front element/ 11 feet back element/ f:6.3 EQ)
    4) Eremann Doppel Objektlv 1:11 F=14cm (that is all I could make front the writing on the front lens)
    5) Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F:4.5 Focus 6 inch
    6) Wollensak TASOPE FOCUS 8"
    7) Kodak Anastigmat f:6.3 170mm
    8) Rodenstack - YSARON f:4.5 105mmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	php0lm15kPM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	108860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpGvtzx3PM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	108861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpHpebjXPM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	108862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpIrxVhjPM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	108863

Re: Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses I was just given please.

Here are the other pictures of the lenses:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpJyMMvoPM.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	108864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpPJdZVEPM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	108865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpRs90XpPM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	108866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpYegjDzPM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	108867

Re: Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses i was just given, please.

All of these, except maybe the Velostigmat, are run of the mill lenses from the first couple generations of anastigmats. None of them really stand out as classics, though I'm sure all take sharp, albeit low contrast pictures. Velostigmats are well known Tessar types, that were perhaps a step our two down in the day from Zeiss and Bausch & Lomb Tessars. Again, all will take good pictures, and you can try them and see if any ring well with you. But none are cult lenses in high demand.

Re: Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses i was just given, please.

Thank you. That is all I can ask for is someones honest opinion. I do plan on shooting a few sheets with each lens for the pure fun of it and see what develops. I actually hope I like what I see afterards and see if there is any room for creativity.
    Thank you again Garrett, I sincerely appreciate you opinion and more importantly your time.
    Regards,
    Primo

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Primo I. View Post
    1) G. Gennert 6 1/2 inch f:6.8 Series III No. 3a Sylvar Lens (I've read that this could be a Goerz lens but not sure since I could not verify it)
    This is a Dagor-type lens.

Thanks. Which Dagor would it mostly resemble? I read its similar to a Syntor Anastigmat. Someone else tells me it resemble a Dagor Double anastigmat. From what I read, I would say its closer to a Syntor than anything else based on the lens elements.
    Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Primo I. View Post
    Thanks. Which Dagor would it mostly resemble? I read its similar to a Syntor Anastigmat. Someone else tells me it resemble a Dagor Double anastigmat. From what I read, I would say its closer to a Syntor than anything else based on the lens elements.
    Thank you again, I do appreciate it.
    This a Dagor Dagor manufactured by Goerz America and re-branded for sell by G Gennert Co. A 6 1/2" Dagor is stated by Goerz America to cover whole plate stopped down with a bit of wiggle room for movements .

I added a clip from a G Gennert catalog on the Sylvar lenses
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G Gennert Sylvar Dagor version..jpg  

I've always enjoyed the Velostigmat lenses. I've had the 7.5" and the 12" and both gave very nice images. Both needed to be stopped down a bit for optimum sharpness, but gave wonderfully soft and rounded images at the wider apertures. I still have one copy of the 7.5 and am kicking myself still (5 years after the fact) for selling the 12".
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Wow, I mispoke, not realizing Goerz let other companies relabel their lenses. So that would be the best of the bunch, in terms of sharpness and contrast.

This is great information. I really appreciate this attachment. Thank you.