Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

Just a heads up to let people here know that I will soon be opening a photography gallery--a physical, built of metal and wood, honest-to-goodness photography gallery.

It is located in the small, coastal town of Half Moon Bay in northern California--not far from the famous Mavericks surf wave, the one they named the new Apple operating system after. It is located in a funky but cool building on what is essentially the main access road into town. It's got issues--a little hard to pull in and out for one, if you are crossing traffic, but the rent is right and it will be a great place to experiment with a lot of ideas of showing, sharing, and selling photographs.

Thousand of people will drive right by the gallery--and see my large road sign--every day. Every Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, etc employee who goes to the beach will see the sign at some point--it is essentially the only road to the beach from that area--not to mention the thousands of domestic and international tourists. Maybe a few people will stop and see what is going on.

Initially I will carry just my own work but the minute I see that people are stopping and looking I want to start carrying work by other photographers, too. My goal is to be different than other photo galleries--easily achieved since I know next to nothing about running a gallery--but I have a number of other ideas and I hope to hear yours, too.

As I said, it will be an experiment.

I would also like to brainstorm with all of you here about what else I can do to make this experiment exciting and fun. Classes, demonstrations? Talks, slideshows? Video photo history archive? Photographer wine drinking club?

What I'd really like is to find people interested in leveraging my gallery and to work with me to help out or lead a project that benefits the photography community.

I'll be putting out a proper call for artists--don't send work now--but my current thinking is to focus--in terms of what I carry for sale--on landscape photography, first related to the San Mateo Coast, then California, then landscape in general. But I'm open to ideas. Traditional methods and modern--even video--will all be welcome.

Anyway, I'd love to talk more about this and I would love to hear your thoughts on how to make this adventure the best it can be. I'll post more--and ask many questions--as time goes on.

Re: I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

The best of luck to you!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Congratulations! And the very best of fortunes!

Have you given any thought to the gallery's name? Perhaps "The Center For Photography Done With Cameras Bigger And Better Than Yours"?
    Last edited by Mark Sawyer; 19-Jan-2014 at 19:44.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I had to Google map it but it looks like an awesome place!
    Best wishes and success in 2014 to you.

Every few years I get down to my cousin's place in Pacifica. I'll put a visit to your gallery into the next trip.

Les

Congrats. Darin, have you checked what's what in the nearby localities 20-30-40 miles ? It may give you a clue what's missing in that market. By March/April peeps will be traveling and you'll have avalanche of peeps rolling through the door....you will need Ries tripod to beat them away....and then you can quietly have a brewskie or 10. If that was my space I'd (also) include various Calif icons, but done in such innovative way that will stop people in their tracks and gasp WOW. The coast has this untapped possibilities for landscapes from beaches, to interesting rocks, to marine fog, etc, etc. No doubt one could see some of that in Mendocino's galleries...and I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. Best of luck.

Les

Congratulations and good luck!

I am too far away to ever see it, but I like the idea a lot, I am so weary of online galleries.

I'm gonna Google street view this, it's how I travel unfortunately...

Wonderful to hear it Darin, best of luck! I love to hear of people willing to open up new photography galleries. It looks like you have some wealth in the area which could make for a happy gallery. Congrats!
    Erik

Congrats! Best wishes with the new endeavor.

Congratulations! I'll stop by for sure.