Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

Scott Brewer

Re: I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

The Sanchez group can be interesting. I had my studio/darkroom there for about seven years (until 2006). I was on the Board of Directors for 3 or 4 years as well. The studio I took over was Richard Lohman's (I believe you know him) He was one of the founding members. There were quite a few artists there who didn't seemed real pleased with photographers. There were some really awesome artists (and people) there as well

They get some pretty big turnouts for a couple of their shows. Arts on Fire receptions used to get hundreds of people. I was in a 4 person show and we had a pretty good turnout. Open studios drew a big crowd also.

As far as the name, I wouldn't do anything generic like "the Coastal (you fill in the blank)" It is too generic and easily confused with other places with a similar name. I like your name. It is different and has a good ring to it. Maybe just your last name? Or find an area (or old townsite name) near there. Like "The Purissma Gallery"

Good luck!!!

Scott Brewer

One more tip...Free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by srbphoto View Post
    One more tip...Free beer.
    You know, now that you mention it...

I've had a lot of suggestions for free coffee. I don't drink coffee but offering it would fit in with my conception of the gallery--a friendly, intimidating place. Should I? Too messy? If I do are k-cups the way to go for self-serve?

--Darin

K -cups cost more than your rent.

Whenever I have done give away coffee, I use the an easy method. You can make darn good coffee for nothing with an Aeropress. Keep a pot of hot water around, and with an AeroPress you have almost espresso in 30 seconds, by hand. So strong they will buy anything. Cheap, simple and professional coffee. It even self cleans, wash it once at the end of the day. Make shots in tiny cups. I don't follow their insane directions and just make as fast as possible. Still good. Some coffee shops even offer it as a premium drink.

Make it a ceremony.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    You know, now that you mention it...

I've had a lot of suggestions for free coffee. I don't drink coffee but offering it would fit in with my conception of the gallery--a friendly, intimidating place. Should I? Too messy? If I do are k-cups the way to go for self-serve?

--Darin

congrat!!!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Darin, best of luck. I'm planning a move up to the Sonora area and will have a gallery/workshop space at some point. You are not that far away and I'd love to see the work.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Actually, I believe you just named it:

Coastside Photography Gallery
    If you talk with anyone who is in marketing they would say to choose a business name that tells people what you are selling. Thomas Mangelsen uses the name "Images of Nature". His gallery name makes it very clear what he is selling. Yours gallery name should do the same. Perhaps "Images of the Coast", "Images of the Seaside", or Images of Land and Water" are just a few of many possibilities.

In terms of lighting, I would choose a lighting system that can accommodate either halogen lights or LED lights. You can start out using halogen lights to save money, and then when you are sure your business is a success you can slowly replace the halogens as they burnout with LEDs. Make sure that you can find LEDs that are interchangeable and have the same color temperature as halogens. Halogens are what most people use in there homes ranging between 350 to 450 LUX. Detail in the shadows will begin to deteriorate with anything less than 350 LUX.

It is important that any lighting for a glass covered photograph is 45 degrees or greater above the surface of the glass. This will ensure that the light source is not reflected in the glass itself.

Having access to an incident color meter to actual measure the color temperature and light intensity will go a long ways to taking control of the lighting in your gallery. The human eye is drawn to highlights and bright spots. Thus, it is important that the ambient light in your gallery is dim (120 LUX at the most) while the lighting on your photographs is bright (350 LUX or brighter). This will make your images pop and enhance your sales. Whatever you do, do not let large amounts of daylight come streaming through any windows. This is uncontrolled light that will create glare and reflections on the glass covering your photographs. It is also a very cold light and will wash out your images and make them appear lifeless.

Hope this helps...

O.K., I signed the lease yesterday. I'm on my way, wherever that leads...

Pressing question--paint colors!

Dark gray ceiling or light/white-ish? I just bought all the track lights in black but I can exchange them for white if need be...

Here are the interior photos--you can see the ceiling goes up and down--the down parts, if they are very dark, might be too close to people's heads? I won't have tracks on those parts. Or maybe keep those light? Any interior designers out there?

--Darin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	109750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	109751

All white (mat natural white or eggshell) : wall, ceiling and white lights.
    What is the floor made? If it is paintable : a light beige.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

White ceiling and lights. For walls a medium gray or medium brownish chocolate color really makes the artwork stand out, esp. black and white prints.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com