Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone see the work of young photographer Bryan Schutmaat? Camera/Lens used?

Smile Anyone see the work of young photographer Bryan Schutmaat? Camera/Lens used?

Hi,

I recently came across the work of Bryan Schutmaat and his body of work "Grays the Mountain Sends" and have to say how impressed I am with it.. IMO really amazing!

http://www.bryanschutmaat.com/

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a bit of a suggestion as to what camera and lens combo he is using.. I am guessing a Chamonix 45 by the looks of this (rather poor quality) photo on his publishers site..

http://www.silasfinch.org/grays/#/bio

and while his landscapes are amazing, it is his portraits of men that I find very powerful.. Any suggestions as to what focal length/brand he may be using for these portraits?

I know that may be an extremely vague question and possibly one without an answer but I figure that this is probably the place!

The other one that really impresses me is the moderate close up of a red headed waitress in a diner.. The bokeh has an almost oval aesthetic to it, almost like that you see in Anamorphic films (without the widescreen aspect). Any idea what lens gives this type of bokeh? Judging by the sharpness, it appears to be fairly modern..

http://www.bryanschutmaat.com/wyw2er...dd7f7005q7nnmm

Any ideas? A friend told me that Fuji lenses were capable of this but I am really not too sure..

Well, really look forward to any thoughts anybody has, would be really greatly appreciated!

Re: Anyone see the work of young photographer Bryan Schutmaat? Camera/Lens used?

Film: Looks like Kodak Portra or Fuji color neg(hard to tell, but my guess is Porta)
    Camera: could be a Chamonix, but if you're basing a potential purchase decision on what equipment he uses, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Use what works for YOUR working style.
    Portraits: TBH, it looks like he's shooting wide open(or close to it). Shallow DOF is the signature here.
    Lens:
    Probably a normal to semi-long(like a 150-240mm) lens for the portraits. Again, nothing really special, and this can probably be achieved with Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fuji or other lenses in regular Compur/Copal shutters that have been used for the past 50yrs on most 4x5/5x7 lenses...

To reiterate, nothing really "special" about his equipment or materials that I can see. Other than some magical pixie dust that he might be the sole owner/master of, the stuff he's using to make pictures is pretty much off-the-shelf. What he's really got is ACCESS to places(that might be open to anyone). Gaining access to places/people is usually much harder than buying equipment.

-Dan

Re: Anyone see the work of young photographer Bryan Schutmaat? Camera/Lens used?

Did you ask bryan himself? That might take all the guesswork out........

It also has a lot to do with when he shoots.
    Notice many of the portraits and even landscapes are shot on overcast days, or indoors with soft, muted light.
    Film, camera, and lens are only the first part; how he handles the photos (darkroom or PS/LR) makes a bigger difference in the final product.

Really nice work. I wonder if he isn't using a touch of auxiliary lights on some of those portraits too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Really nice work. I wonder if he isn't using a touch of auxiliary lights on some of those portraits too.
    Or some bounced light. Some of the catchlights look like white cards to me.
    -Chris

Hi, Thanks for all your responses, is greatly appreciated! I have contacted Bryan but am yet to receive a response.. After looking at some of his images again, would agree that the portraits are in the 180mm -240mm range..

What i am still unsure of is how the background bokeh on the image of the girl in the diner is somewhat elliptical? I don't seem to get this from my 210mm Caltar II-N..

Anyone know if the Fuji lenses produce noticeably different bokeh to other lenses, giving more of this elliptical shape?

Also, I realise that a lot has to do with lighting, time of day and access to locations! All very important..

Ok, thanks again, all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If your camera has the ability to do lens swings and tilts then you can manipulate the swing and tilt of the plane of sharp focus and the out of focus area.

Set up the camera and give it a try, it is fully visible on the ground glass.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

The portraits of Bryan Schutmaat? What lens is used?

I recently rediscovered the work of Bryan Shutmaat and would to hear your thoughts on what lens he uses for his portraits? I am guessing a 180mm, as I have both a 150mm and a 210mm and it somehow seems to "fit" there to my eyes..

https://www.bryanschutmaat.co/work/iv

What do you think? Look forward to hearing your thoughts...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.11.06 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.10.24 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.10.00 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.09.44 pm.jpg  

Re: The portraits of Bryan Shutmaat? What lens is ised?

A few more....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.09.26 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.08.59 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.08.33 pm.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.16.31 pm.jpg