Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Imagon 200 5.8 for 4x5?

Re: The Imagon 200 5.8 for 4x5?

First-rate photos, Mark.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Too bad you didn’t ask a few years ago, we stocked spare disks but once the Imagon was discontinued we sold them all out.

Portrait and wedding photographers were the largest market for the Imagons after Monte Zucker, Al Gilbert, Tibor Horvath and some others began their various seminars and classes in the mid to late 60s. All of these guys used Hasselblad 250mm lens mounts with an adapter to mount the 200mm or special mounts and focus mounts for the 200 and virtually all of them used the 5.8 disk with the periphery holes closed to shoot at 7.7. So that is probably the hardest disk to find today.
    Yes too bad. Then I could have gotten some sleep. As it is I am now obsessed with finding a 5.8/7.7 disk for the 200mm 5.8 Imagon. As my wife can tell you, it's not a good thing when I get obsessed with something. Anyone have any suggestions where to look other than Ebay? And I already checked under my pillow as I lay awake.

Ed

It's not hard to make your own disks.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    It's not hard to make your own disks.
    What we need is a filter-type holder and an original disc, a drill press and appropriate bits. (use the original to guide the press). Seems easy, but I am not going o make them. Labor intensive.

The lens cap leather pops out easily on my version. It goes on just like the filters. I simply made some disks using stiff, opaque paper that fit into the lens cap ring. The lens is at my studio. I'll take pictures when I'm there next. I used a compass an an x-acto knife. It worked just fine. Jac's right that fancier versions could be made. My library has 3-d printers and a cnc machine. A few weeks ago, I 3-d printed a funnel for my espresso portafilter. It was very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The lens cap leather pops out easily on my version. It goes on just like the filters. I simply made some disks using stiff, opaque paper that fit into the lens cap ring.
    Elegant, Peter. Simple, the epitome of sophistication.

Yes, the lenscap (push out the leather circle) is it. Was going to suggest it, easy to make. Use the leather to make a pattern.

"200mm Imagon has been the standard 4x5 focal length for a very long time. -Bernice"
    Yes that is what the old vintage literature states. Of course you would want to test that to confirm.
    Then you will know.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, the 250mm is the focal length for 45 if you want the desired halation the Imagon is known for at the proper apertures for portraiture with the Imagon.

The Imagon is not designed to be used with the aperture ring in the shutter. It is made to be used with the three disks that set the T stops on the lens and none of them will reach f22. The most commonly used disks for the Imagon used for portraits will be the largest opening disk or the middle one. These will result in T stops from 5.8 to 9.6. Also frequently used for maximum halation is no disk which is also 5.8.

For the best Imagon effect you need direct light (not umbrellas) and a lighting ration of about 5:1.

The Imagon design throws a peripheral image from the outside of the lens over the image created from the center of the lens. The amount of the halation is controlled by how much of the center of the lens is used (controlled by the size of the center hole of the disks) and how much of the peripheral image is used (controlled by how open or closed the holes surrounding the center hole are). The Imagon is quite sharp when used with the disk with the smallest center hole with all of its outer holes closed.

So no, it will not be satisfactory, if you want the effects the Imagon is known for, on 4x5.

If you want a copy of the Imagon instructions in hard copy mailed to you, if you are in the USA, let me know and I can copy the booklet that came with the lens.

Hi Bob,
    Wondering if this offer is still available and if so I live in Australia is it possible to obtain a pdf file of this booklet .. what would the cost be? I own one of these 'lenses' .. and would love to obtain the booklet.
    much appreciation Agnesm

Quote Originally Posted by agnesm View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Wondering if this offer is still available and if so I live in Australia is it possible to obtain a pdf file of this booklet .. what would the cost be? I own one of these 'lenses' .. and would love to obtain the booklet.
    much appreciation Agnesm
    I have no idea. You would have to check with the factory.