Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Imagon 200 5.8 for 4x5?

The Imagon 200 5.8 for 4x5?

I have been doing my research . Often listed as an 4x5 lens , it has an image circle of 150 , so technically speaking , it is 12 mm short right out of the gate . So a 150 mm circle at f22 on a soft focus lens , that will be used mostly at larger apertures , would be very limited at best on 4x5. But I would like to hear it from someone who has actually used it on 4x5 . At typical working distances doing portraiture , will the lens perform on 4x5 ?

Re: The Imagon 200 5.8 for 4x5?

No, the 250mm is the focal length for 45 if you want the desired halation the Imagon is known for at the proper apertures for portraiture with the Imagon.

The Imagon is not designed to be used with the aperture ring in the shutter. It is made to be used with the three disks that set the T stops on the lens and none of them will reach f22. The most commonly used disks for the Imagon used for portraits will be the largest opening disk or the middle one. These will result in T stops from 5.8 to 9.6. Also frequently used for maximum halation is no disk which is also 5.8.

For the best Imagon effect you need direct light (not umbrellas) and a lighting ration of about 5:1.

The Imagon design throws a peripheral image from the outside of the lens over the image created from the center of the lens. The amount of the halation is controlled by how much of the center of the lens is used (controlled by the size of the center hole of the disks) and how much of the peripheral image is used (controlled by how open or closed the holes surrounding the center hole are). The Imagon is quite sharp when used with the disk with the smallest center hole with all of its outer holes closed.

So no, it will not be satisfactory, if you want the effects the Imagon is known for, on 4x5.

If you want a copy of the Imagon instructions in hard copy mailed to you, if you are in the USA, let me know and I can copy the booklet that came with the lens.

From http://harrysproshop.com/Imagon/imagon.html

In North America it is a common practise for photographers to photograph using 200mm Imagons on both medium format cameras and on 4x5 sheet film cameras. The main issue is not just coverage but usability.

Dr. Alfons Scholz of Rodenstock was a great Imagon scholar. In his book he explains his preference:

"The most favorable combination of camera and lens available is the Imagon 200 mm with the size 9 x 12cm. Full use of the field angle, unlimited aperture sequence, advantageous spatial depth, all these things are only possible with this combination. Anyone who does not want to use the Imagon for only one purpose, but who wants to make the most of his lens, will have to select the 200 mm lens and use it with a 9 x 12 camera."...
    The 200mm has a covering power of 154mm and therefore can be used on 4x5 without movement, although it is primary adapted to Medium Format cameras. The 250mm has a field of 180mm and is thus a better choice for 4x5. The 300mm covers 5x7 (220mm field).

I use my Imagon 200 uniquely on MF digital ... not on 4x5 (which I also shoot)

I use the 200mm on 5x4. The pics look fine by my liking.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenery04.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	108199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leeds6.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	108200

Quote Originally Posted by CTwist View Post
    I use the 200mm on 5x4. The pics look fine by my liking.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenery04.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	108199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leeds6.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	108200
    That is very nice b&w portrait . Very much to my liking .

I thought that 162 mm was the minimum required for 4x5 coverage without movements . But cowanw mentioned that the 200 imagon has a 154 circle and will work on 4x5 without moves. The image posted by CTwist (portrait) is really nice . I see a touch of vignetting that works for that image. I'm curious if that vignetting is from the lens or an additional touch by the photographer. So what is the absolute minimum image circle that will cover the diagonal of 4x5 sheet film?

Michael Alpert

The Imagon is not designed to be used with the aperture ring in the shutter. . .
    I am sure that Bob's information is correct: The lens was made to be used with its discs. But calibrating the aperture ring is easy. You just need to use an inside caliper and simple arithmetic. I have an older lens in a compound shutter that I often use without discs. I've marked the ring from f5.6 to f11. The old shutter, which has maintained accurate speeds, has an iris that is nicely round at all apertures. So out-of-focus areas are smooth, without any of the highlight oddities that the discs sometimes create. I am mostly using the 200mm lens for tabletop photography, so the image circle is more than adequate.

I definitely need to get a copy of the Imagon instructions from Mr Bob Salomon .

The 200mm imagon will DEFINITELY cover 4x5 and more! I use one all the time on 4x5 with movements and certainly at portrait distance on 5x7. The 'image circle' of 150mm is ridiculous. It is more likely that it has 150mm of corner to corner fine resolution. On 4x5 and wide open, the corners are a bit smeary with low resolution and I like it. It gets sharp all over as it's stopped down. No disrespect to the "imagon instructions', but in the real world it's great on 4x5. I never use the 'strainer' discs. They are for very controlled lighting situations. Also, I've never had to do any focal corrections with infrared film which I shoot 90% of the time.

included image is on 4x5 wide open, no disc, infrared film
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tow away .jpg