Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bogen 3047 vs. tiltall

hacker extraordinaire

bogen 3047 vs. tiltall

I have a Calumet cc-401, speed graphic and RB67.

I've been dealing with cheap consumer tripods and jury-rigged construction tripods for too long. I got rid of it all when I moved. Now I have no tripod, but I do have a Bogen 3047 head and plenty of QD plates. I like it just fine. Should I get legs for my 3047 head, or just buy a new tiltall? Or something else? I typically don't go hiking so I don't need something carbon fiber and I don't have $300 to spend.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: bogen 3047 vs. tiltall

I think the Tiltall will satisfy all of your requirements.
    But there are some decent Chinese tripods to be had for under $200 if you would prefer using the 3047 and QR system.
    To wit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...13_Tripod.html

hacker extraordinaire

Do you have personal experience with that model? It is in my price range, but the last thing I want is to buy another tripod that is frustrating, then have to live with it for several years until I admit to myself it was a waste and be pretty much where I am.

I don't think my standards are high; I don't care about looks or weight and my cameras aren't fancy either...I just need the tripod equivalent to the CC-401...all the core functionality even if not pretty.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.

I used to have the larger AT413, and it was on the heavy side, but quite solid; a decent tripod at a decent price, no issues at all.
    It does sound like your Tiltall will be just fine for your needs, unless you prefer using QR plates.
    I say use the Tiltall until you find a reason to need a different tripod.

Don't buy a NEW Tiltall -- get a used one made by Leitz.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you are going to buy a Tiltall you can pick up a real nice used one for under $100.00. I paid $75.00 for my Leitz version.

The new ones made in China are said to be inferior in build quality to the old ones according to knowledge that I gained from this forum.

For those cameras, the Tiltall will be enough. It is a great tripod (as others have said, buy a used Leitz version as it is highly superior to the others) for anything up to about the CC-400 series or Graflex size and weight.

I would not get rid of the 3047 head though. It is my favorite of all the three handled Bogen heads that I've owned and if you ever go to a heavier camera like a Cambo, or Sinar studio monorail, you will be glad you have the stronger head of the Bogen along with a decent set of legs.

My opinion, you would have the best of both worlds.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The Tiltall tripod was developed by the Marchioni brothers. When they retired, Leitz seemed like a suitable company to take over production. They were also rebranded Star-D and perhaps one other old camera maker. Ansel Adams used one on his smaller cameras. I've owned Tiltalls branded Marchioni, Leitz, and Star-D. All gave fine service. I have no experience with the newer imported Tiltalls.

I strongly recommend the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 (now called the 055, I think) legs. They are the perfect match for the 3047 head. It is a classic and very common tripod setup for LF.

hacker extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I strongly recommend the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 (now called the 055, I think) legs. They are the perfect match for the 3047 head. It is a classic and very common tripod setup for LF.
    Is this the one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UMX7FI

My calumet is the long-rail model, which I sometimes use for macro, so it can get a bit tippy. After looking at pictures of the tiltall online, I'm leaning toward something sturdier to go with my 3047 head. Unfortunately I have no opportunity to look at tripod legs in person and the model numbers and specs are confusing. There aren't many camera stores around here and those only have foo-foo tripods.