Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film

film

I bought a Ansco 8x10 camera and a film holder that still had film in it . The women said her husband before he died use to shoot nudes with the camera. The holder suggests that the film has been exposed. She did not know what film he used. If this was you how would you process this film . Any suggestions appreciated. The wife wanted to know what was on the film ,too. Craig

Re: film

Get some silly putty. press onto the corner of the film. Google notch codes. Proceed from there.

Vinny's silly putty idea is great, never thought of that.

In the dark, try to feel along the film edge for the notch code, you may be able to tell that way which film it is.
    Then you can process.
    I'd add 10-15% processing time just to be on the safe side.

If you can't determine film type, then I would process in my usual way (i.e. your favourite emulsion/developer) and add 10-15% developing time.

I wonder what the cause of death was?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another way to know the notch code is to slip a piece of paper under the notch (in the dark, of course) then run a sharp pencil down the film and along the notch.

I'll second what AtlantaTerry said, or you could snip the notch code off with scissors.

If you could be reasonably sure that the film is B&W and not colour, you would be pretty safe using Diafine.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    I bought a Ansco 8x10 camera and a film holder that still had film in it . The women said her husband before he died use to shoot nudes with the camera. The holder suggests that the film has been exposed. She did not know what film he used. If this was you how would you process this film . Any suggestions appreciated. The wife wanted to know what was on the film ,too. Craig
    Craig,
    Pray it's not a picture of your wife.....

Find out what the notch codes are and process as normal

You know I've been doing photo since I was eighteen, and LF since my twenties. This year I turned 50 and one likes to think you know a lot after so much time, I gotta say this is one of the most helpful suggestions in recent time...Many thank yous Sir! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Get some silly putty. press onto the corner of the film. Google notch codes. Proceed from there.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com