Thread: Restoring 8x10

Restoring 8x10

I have started to restore a 8x10 ansco camera. All of the original pieces are there . The brass fittings are in need of cleaning up . Anyone have a suggestion as what will work best to clean them up . Ordering new bellows too. Any help is always appreciated

Re: Restoring 8x10

If you re going to remove the fittings, you might try soaking the brass in juice from a jar of hot peppers (Fresno chilies seem to work the best for me. They're larger and green, like jalapenos).
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Weiman Brass Polish.

Thomas

Horolene ...amazing stuff

If you're just cleaning the brass, Noxon works well, I scrub with a toothbrush and wash
    with dishwashing liquid Noxon tends to accumulate in tight corners and rinse the parts before
    final polishing with either Eagle One Never Dull, Presta Metal polish, or Simochrome polish.
    The polish choice is whatever is close at hand, wear gloves when polishing unless you like
    having grimy looking fingers.

Never Dull which is cloth fiber in a can with vleaner.. cotton waste is the term. Also there once was non abrasive Brasso.

Really, the juice from a jar of hot peppers works very well, is ecologically responsible, economical, doesn't support giant industrial chemical conglomerates, and is safe to use) unless you get it in your eyes.) You also have value added in the way of byproducts such as nachos! Just let the parts soak while you enjoy a cold beer and call it good.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That juice is vinegar, and straight vinegar or citric acid works too. But warning; do not leave brass in an acid more than about 5-10 minutes, or it can leach the copper out of it, changing it's color to a pinkish hue. Acid does work fast, if the brass is tarnished black. If it's just dull, I'd do like we did in the Navy, and just use Neverdull.

I'm a big fan of neverdull and then flitz polish.. effective and gentle and cleans up easy.