Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Lightbulbs

Darkroom Lightbulbs

I have a dumb question & apologize if this has been covered on a previous thread.

As of today, January 1st, incandescent bulbs will no longer be made. Does anyone have a good suggestion for substitute bulbs that can be used in a darkroom?

I have tried the new fluorescent type, but they glow after you turn them off & take a while to come to full strength when turned on....neither good for a darkroom. I also use a bare 40 watt bulb to view my wet prints from the developer.

Is there are good substitue bulb that turns on & off instantly...or should I go out & buy a 10 year supply of the old ones while they last?

Rick

Re: Darkroom Lightbulbs

You could stock up on incandescent as a form of investment. and sell them on ebay ten years from now for $5 each.

Halogen bulbs are available as a pricier equivalent bulb. Barely any more efficient.

LED bulbs are pretty rockin at the moment. I've been getting $10 utilitech pro ones from lowes with a 3000k color output which I like. A recent gallery thread suggested a philips LED bulb for displaying photos. Might as well use the same light in the darkroom as for display.

hacker extraordinaire

These are perfect substitutes for the old red incandescents. Even better actually.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...60-degree/440/

I better question, IMO, is what to do about enlarger bulbs. Replacements are still available, but can I buy a a direct LED substitute yet?

If you just need incandescent replacements, the Cree bulbs are the only way to go (available at Home Depot).
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Incandescent bulbs haven't been made for a while. I think after Jan 1, 2014 it is also illegal to sell or ship remaining stock; not sure about this though.

I stocked up earlier, so have a catch in my deep freeze - like Quickloads.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

From the CBC News site with regards to changes in Canadian regulations:

"Ban on incandescent light bulbs

The Conservatives also came into office vowing to do away with incandescent light bulbs. After phasing them out over the last couple of years, Canadians will no longer be able to buy old-fashioned light bulbs beginning Jan.1, 2014.

The ban will force Canadians to buy more energy efficient alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light-emitting diode​s (LED) bulbs, which tend to cost more that the old-fashioned types.

Despite the ban, there is no federal plan yet to dispose of the CFLs, which meet energy efficient standards but also contain a small amount of mercury.

While retailers will be able to sell the incandescent bulbs left on their shelves, manufacturers will no longer supply Canadian stores with them."

In another article I read earlier, it indicated that appliance bulbs (for refrigerators, ovens) will continue to be sold so there is the supply for low wattage safelight bulbs. Also as many have already moved to CFL's and LED's, anyone having a supply of incandescent bulbs might be interested in clearing them out at a heavy discount.

It may be possible to purchase enlarger bulbs from the USA if the sources in Canada dry up, but it would be best not to describe them as an incandescent bulb, instead for example describing them as a "photographic enlarging / projection light source".

The sky is not falling yet...

The law in effect today is only a prohibition on manufacture. Shipping and sale of incandescent bulbs is still legal.

Those are fantastic safe light bulbs, much better than anything old. Nice sharp cutoff. I use 10 in a large darkroom and studio, I do mostly X-Ray. I don't need a shutter to pop a flash in the red light zone.

We need to start making DIY LED enlarger heads. I am thinking of big, maybe 11x14 LED. I have stocked up on 150, 250 and 500 watt enlarger bulbs, but they will not last forever even on a lower voltages.

I think special usage incandescent are still allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    These are perfect substitutes for the old red incandescents. Even better actually.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...60-degree/440/

I better question, IMO, is what to do about enlarger bulbs. Replacements are still available, but can I buy a a direct LED substitute yet?

If you just need incandescent replacements, the Cree bulbs are the only way to go (available at Home Depot).

Randy: "We need to start making DIY LED enlarger heads."

How would it work with a condenser enlarger?

Read this guy, i want to scale up from his plans.

http://www.trippingthroughthedark.co...om/durst-138s/

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Randy: "We need to start making DIY LED enlarger heads."

How would it work with a condenser enlarger?