Thread: Jobo Expert drum question

Jobo Expert drum question

I have been processing my 4X5 E6 and B&W film on a Jobo in the 2509n reels and I have been very satisfied with the results. So I'm not really sure why, but I have purchased a 3010 expert drum to see if things get any better... Can I perform washing inside the drum on my processor (as I do with the 2500 series tank and 2509n reel) or do I need to get a separate film washer?

Donald, you can wash the film in the drum. Do so for 10 min and empty every 30 seconds. One caveat: Don't put any fotoFlo type material in the drum. Take the film out and do that in a separate container. Also, be sure you have the proper amount of working solution to cover the amount of sheets you have. It holds ten sheets but with some deveoper/dilution combos, you can't use all 10 slots as the film will not develop properly.

good luck

bob

Many thanks...

Beverly Hills, California

If you are going for true archival on the B&W , need to do wash outside the Expert drum - although I admit, I don't - because of reduced washing on the side that's in constant contact with the tube's surface.

See this thread. There is a photo and discussion of a Jobo product called Cascade, which fits over the top of the drum, and lets you wash the film directly from the water outlet.

The cascade washer Ken refers to will NOT work with the 3010 or any of the 3000 series drums. As Bobby correctly pointed out – do not use photo-flo (or the Final Rinse if you use Kodak’s e-6 Kit) in the drum. Yes, you can wash inside the drum. It’s not terribly efficient though for B&W, especially if you are using TMAX, which needs a hell of a lot of washing. In my process, after about a 4 minute final wash in Hypo-Clear, I transfer my TMAX films to a print washer for another 20 minutes. Washing E-6 in the drum is not a problem.