Thread: Graflarger users. Need help

Graflarger users. Need help

Hello and Happy new year to you LF peeps!

I have a few questions regarding Graflarger.

I managed to get a second Graflarger a few months ago. The first one i bought from here arrived in Iran with a broken lamp so i have to look for another one
    so i could use the lamp from it. Fortunately, i got a cheap one off ebay. Now, i have a working Graflarger.

Now i'm curious about the Volts, Cycles, Volt Amps on the Graflarger if these are very important. Since Iran has a 240v / 50hz. I have 110v Transformer that i use for it but i'm worried about the Cycles. The Graflarger cycles is 60. Would this affect the lamp or the unit if we have 50hz? Not sure if these are connected though. It might be...

Another thing is, how do you setup your Graflarger? I will just use a tripod. Will print 8x10 to 11x14 prints and use 150mm lens. I wonder what is the best and easiest way to set it up..

Thanks guys!

Re: Graflarger users. Need help

It may affect the light somehow, but I used mine for years with a transformer. When my ballast burned up I replaced the lamp with a regular CFL, and then later with a regular incandescent bulb (I made a new box that sat on the graflarger unit). The CFL required filters to reduce contrast.

Easier than a tripod is to screw some shelf standards to the wall of your darkroom and use those to hold the camera. Then you can easily move the shelf brackets up or down to crop or enlarge. Mine is in a closet, and when I am finished I take the table and the camera brackets and easel and unit and store it all in a box in the closet.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Tim.

Do you have a picture of this modified Graflarger? Interesting, since the cold light is a bit expensive from the manufacturer to make one. It would be a good idea to tweak the unit when the lamp is not working anymore.

I don't have dedicated dakroom yet so tripod for me is the best solution so it would be atleast mobile. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    It may affect the light somehow, but I used mine for years with a transformer. When my ballast burned up I replaced the lamp with a regular CFL, and then later with a regular incandescent bulb (I made a new box that sat on the graflarger unit). The CFL required filters to reduce contrast.

Easier than a tripod is to screw some shelf standards to the wall of your darkroom and use those to hold the camera. Then you can easily move the shelf brackets up or down to crop or enlarge. Mine is in a closet, and when I am finished I take the table and the camera brackets and easel and unit and store it all in a box in the closet.

Happy New Year!

I made a post some time ago on building a 5x7 enlarger on the DIY thread, and I have a post on "Lets See Your Darkroom" #330 (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...856#post895856)

The difference between 50 and 60 Hz will not make enough difference to worry about. Just get the voltage right.

Steve.

Thank you all guys!

The 50/60 cycles is not a problem. However, a lot of transformers used for 110-220 conversions are "auto-transformers" which will allow the voltage to drop as they are loaded up. I recommend using a voltmeter to check the voltage output when the lamp is on. I have seen voltage go from 120 down to 90 with a light load, and even down to 60v with a heavy load. Auto transformers are a cheap way to change the voltage, but do not maintain voltage as the load changes.
    Wayne

A Graflarger back is a really poor way to enlarge negatives -- I know, I did it that way for three years when I was in high school and couldn't afford an enlarger.
    But we all have to do the best we can with what we have.
    Good luck to you.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Aho View Post
    The 50/60 cycles is not a problem. However, a lot of transformers used for 110-220 conversions are "auto-transformers" which will allow the voltage to drop as they are loaded up.
    That's more of a function of an under specified transformer rather than a problem specific to auto transformers.

Steve.

looks like you fixed the light source problem and the power issue, as far as printing 11X14 it will do just fine and using the same lens you shot it with is the best way to go, graflargers where typically set up with a mast that has a three bolt base pad, a tube attached to it vertically and a bracket that can be adjusted to the hight needed and clamped in place, the bracket is set up with a clamp that holds your camera. I found one at a used camera outlet and still use it on occasion ..... it is a part of the graflarger system and you should be able to find one without a problem. There are other methods of setting up your system such as the one linked above that may be better than the original Graflarger system.