Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Full frame" Omega negative carriers

"Full frame" Omega negative carriers

Is there such a thing as a negative carrier that will also include the border
    of film be it 4x5, 6x6 or 35mm ?

Re: "Full frame" Omega negative carriers

Yes. 4x5 Glass carriers come up here and on apug in the classifieds. Or you can make your own.

The Omega 4x5 glass carrier crops even more than the standard glassless ones. The only answer is to mill out your existing carriers. Of course you can use the 4x5 glass carriers with smaller formats and a mask. But the Omega light sources will not illuminate all the rebate edges of a 4x5 negative, either, so you'll need a different enlarger to do that.

The Omega D5500 system addresses the problems Mark pointed out, however, I think the best way to print 4x5 full frame with rebate is to use an enlarger one-size bigger (5x7 etc.)

Thanks for the replies, I've been mucking around with sheets of thin plexi,
    I kind of figured that i would have to customize an existing negative carrier
    to to be able to enlarge with the film border. The Omegalite head I have
    could possibly not illuminate the entire negative because of the opening size of the light,
    aperture, but the condenser head which is currently installed does.

I made mine out of a 5x7 piece of glass. no notches where the factory holders have notches. just a 5x7 piece with another piece hinged on top with tape.

I used a jeweler's saw to cut out the standard glassless carrier so it gives me full-frame with black borders.

For several years I used an Omegalite and it covered adequately, though I had to carefully position the lamp housing.

I used to have two sheets of thin glass, about 6x12 inches, tape-hinged on the long side. This would hold three strips of six 35mm negs for making enlarged proofs 9 at a time, and also served as a borderless carrier for anything I could fit in it.

I've filed a 4x5 holder to expose more of the frame. Often I'll need to print all of one side of the negative and a bit if it is covered by the carrier. If I am planning to crop the opposite side anyway, I'll just trim the negative edge with scissors to I can slide it further to that side in the carrier and expose more of the opposite side.

When I really need to print the image out to the edges, I'll use a 5/7 glass holder and tape the negative to the glass. I never print the rebate of the film, but occasionally do need all of the image.

Coverage with Omega 4x5 enlargers is always tricky. I often have to reposition the carrier a time or two to ensure adequate illumination to the corners.

Best,

Doremus

Bill Burk: It doesn't surprise me that you "milled out" a negative carrier by means of a jeweler's saw; anyone who owns a real handsaw-filing vise definitely qualifies as "old school" in my book. Way to go!

Harold