Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Initial Impression: Ilford MGFB IV vs MGFB Classic

Eric Biggerstaff

Initial Impression: Ilford MGFB IV vs MGFB Classic

I just came out of the darkroom where I spent the morning working on a print testing the new Ilford MG Classic against the MGFB IV and thought some of you might like to know what my impressions are. I hope others will share their results on this thread so we have a good foundation of experience with the paper that we can share. Your results will not match mine of course, but this is a start.

I exposed all images under my new LED head from Modern Enlarger Lamps (excellent!) and the prints were developed in Dektol, 1+2 for 2 minutes.

1) Weight - New paper seems to be slightly heavier than the MGFB IV and when wet becomes pliable very quickly.

2) Base - Same bright white base as MGFB IV, perhaps a tad whiter if that is possible.

3) Speed - I found a BIG difference in speed, the new MG Classic was 1.25 stops faster than the MGFB IV when printing the same image on the two papers. So, be ready to stop your lens down!

4) Tone - This is a hard one as everyone sees tone slightly different. I find MGFB IV to be pretty much dead neutral, almost to a fault. However, MG Classic appears slightly warmer than neutral to my eye and under my viewing light. It is a very lovely tone and one I find perfect for much of my work.

5) Surface - Smooth, glossy much like the MGFB IV.

6) Toning - I always use Selenium at 1+ 10 and then vary the time depending on the paper, keeps it simple for me. I did a toning test and found the new paper moves in Selenium much more easily than did MGFB IV. After one minute you can begin to see a shift, after 2 to 3 minutes the shadows pick up density and at about 4 minutes I was getting a brownish shift in the shadows. At five minutes tones began to take on a cooler look with a little purplish undertone. I ran it out to 8 minutes and the paper never did shift to red or red / brown, in fact after about 6 minutes I did not see a great deal more toning. I settled on 3.5 minutes as my base time with this paper.

All in all, I am very excited about this new paper! It is priced about the same as MGFB IV and the tone for me is wonderful. I think this is Ilford's answer to Adox MC110 and Foma Fomabrom Varient (both are excellent papers as well). I like this new Ilford so much that I just ordered a 250 sheet box!

I hope others who are working with this paper will post their results as I am interested to learn of your impressions.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Re: Initial Impression: Ilford MGFB IV vs MGFB Classic

Thanks Eric, it sounds like a very nice paper indeed.

If I can ever get my new darkroom up and running I'll be testing it as I need a Kentmere replacement.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Thanks Eric.
    I was especially interested in how the new version reacts to Se toner (same dilution as yours).

I am wondering if this paper has that bit of shelf on the paper speed/ reflection density graph at grade o and oo that MGiv warmtone has between reflection density 1.5 and 2 as per the Darkroom automation web site
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/index.htm

Thanks for posting! Do you have an impression as to whether MGC gains any DMax compared to MGIVFB, without toning? And has the curve shape changed at all?

Sounds very similar to old paper. So, what's the point????

I, too, printed in the darkroom today with the new "classic" paper. I agree with everything Mr. Biggerstaff has posted. I really like the paper.

The slip in the box says this paper has an improved maximum density (Dmax) along with 50% less wash time. It also says it has a faster speed and will give sharper images, among other things.

The image comes up very fast in the developer (10 seconds or so) and seems to develop out much quicker than the IV FB. I have not toned yet, but look forward to that along with trying some brush bleaching, something that was tough with the IV FB.

Eric Biggerstaff

Well, I should start reading those little pieces of paper!

I agree that it seems to have improved dmax, I made a couple more prints today and I am still very impressed.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I've been working through a box of the new classic in 11x14 this evening. The thing I noticed is a different curve up around Zone 8. Seems much smoother and better separated than multigrade. But, it just so happened the image I chose to start with is pretty particular about those highlights. I'm also seeing better detail, little flaws that seem to merge in with the grain on MG are very apparent and will need some spotting!

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Well, I should start reading those little pieces of paper!
    Eric, I thought you knew that Real Men never read instructions first!