Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go & photograph in Denmark?

Where to go & photograph in Denmark?

I've never been to Denmark myself, but we're thinking of going there for our holidays (summer 2014). Hence my question: what are the sights and places to be in Denmark to take some nice photographs? I'm thinking about landscapes, towns, seascape, but anything goes ...
    Surprise me please. It will help us to decide where to stay in Denmark for the holidays with the family (and where to look for a nice small hotel or something).

Thanks, Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

Thomas

Re: Where to go & photograph in Denmark?

My personal favourite in Denmark is the Skagen area, at the top of Jutland. Nice landscape and seascapes between the two seas, and a good place for family vacations. What I find particularly impressing are the two coasts (east and west) which are so different, although just a few km apart.

Couple of LF impressions here: http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/O.../Skagen?page=1

Greetings, Thomas

Thomas has some very nice shots around Skagen.
    He was very lucky the day he was around the "wandering sand dunes" as the sky/cloud patterns were superb!

Weather:

There are good summers and bad summers - just like down in the Netherlands!

Skagen:

Is a very mixed bag. Plenty of things to do and some "photo opportunities". A bit too crowded (expensive as well) for some peak weeks as it is popular "cult" resort for people who don't have problems with housekeeping budgets.

West coast:

A few overfilled reorts, but easy to get away from everyone else. Sandy, flat fiords, sea trout fishing, vestiges of the sand heaths (junipers etc.), lots of (boring, half dead) conifer plantations.

East coast:

More people/towns/museums etc.

Accomodation:

Less pressure from German visitors these days. Typical is Camping, rent of basic or luxury holiday chalets. A few ugly low rise holiday centres, B & B, some quaint small family hotels.

It would be best of you check available torist guide info and the ask specifc questions or advice'. Especialy as regards the type of images you are interested in.

Hello Thomas,
    Thank you for sharing your images. It says more than words. It reminds me of the Wadden islands at the north of Holland.
    And B&W is my favorite color. I'll take lot of films with me (Bronica SQ-B and Leica M7).
    I also have an old Russian FKD plate camera (18x24 cm) I would like to take with me, but I have to check it for light leaks.
    Thanks,
    Bert

Hello Steve,
    Thank you for the extensive information. We are looking at the east coast at the moment, like the isle of Als or Sjælland.
    We want to rent a small house (4 persons) near the waterfront ore something like that. Maybe changing location in the second week?
    This way we can see two areas.
    It seems you live in a beautiful country.
    Thanks,
    Bert

Planning legislation means that the areas where there are most short term summer rentals near the coast are comparatively limited outside Jutland. I don't know about Als, but Saelland has a few areas which are highly suited to sand and sea - but not much else!
    Renting 2 x 1 week is probably easier than 1x2 weeks. Note that the peak DK//DE school holidays put a premium on rental costs and that many have moved up to the de luxe category with Sauna, indoor pools and training equipment rooms. This is what German renters wanted in the late 90's and early '00's!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    We want to rent a small house (4 persons) near the waterfront ore something like that. Maybe changing location in the second week?
    This way we can see two areas.
    You will find a wide selection of holiday homes through one of the large agencies, like Dancenter, Dansommer or Novasol. Search on their websites. Most owners will rent their homes through one of agencies. As Steve pointed out most homes are quite luxurious and thus rather expensive, but if you book early on (like now) there is a chance that you find a better priced offer.
    Switching houses after one week should not be a problem, most houses are rented by the week, standard is Saturday to Saturday.

Greetings, Thomas

Not yet mentioned but Fyn (Fynen) and Langeland the long island between Fyn and Lolland is worth a day or two. The Southern part of Fyn is nice with small villages and very old houses. On both Islands you can find old Castles but my memory is to old to remember the names despite being born, raised and living a majority of my life in DK.
    Skagen is as already mentioned a nice part of Denmark but to many tourists. Skagen was a popular place to live for early Danish painters who found the light to be very special there.

For pure scenery it is difficult to find anything dramatic and large as in Southern Europe. Think details and intimate landscapes.
    Have a good vacation and leave plenty of money for the Danish government. (You have no choice)

Fyn is beautiful (The Garden of Denmark, according to HC Andersen)....
    The North is wild.

Denmark is very green.

I was born in Fyn - I now live in the North.

LOTS of places to see (and to avoid tourists...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ril.jpg   rold4.jpg   rolr.jpg   _Diana (31).jpg  

An update: the family decided on the isle of "Funen". This an other name for "Fyn", isn't it?
    Anything I shouldn't miss on this island?
    If we have the time, we might even spend a day or two extra in Copenhagen.
    Is there a decent analogue photo store or photo event worth visiting (if I can convince the family, that is ...)?
    Thanks,
    Bert