Thread: print labels

hacker extraordinaire

print labels

I have a print or two that need labels on them. You know, like those little golden badges that I can stick to the mat below the print with the location or name of the print. Is there a place where I can order that type of thing? Right now I'm contemplating running something off the labelmaker, but that would just be tacky.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: print labels

What about just writing the title/name(or location) and info directly on the back of the mat, using a hard artists pencil?

I'd never put a sticker, label or even penciled-in print information on the front of an exhibition print. The only thing visible on my prints from the front is the print itself and my signature in pencil on the mat board under the bottom right of the dry-mounted print.

On the back of the print I have a rubber stamp (archival ink) with my name, copyright info, print name, date, etc. This is about 2x3 inches. The stamp itself is just the form, the information is filled in in pencil. A label would also work here, but I'd be suspect of normal adhesives.

Best,

Doremus

As an alternative to pencil you can use a pen filled with acid-free India ink. I get mine in various sizes from art supply stores for about US $3 to $5.

I have also been looking for acid-free self-adhesive labels for the same purpose. But, evidently, there is no such thing. The problem seems to be the glue on the self-adhesive label.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    You know, like those little golden badges that I can stick to the mat below the print with the location or name of the print.
    No, I don't know. It seems as though you may not be referring to provenance, but something else entirely.

If you mean "show labels", these are not customarily located on the piece, except in the case of brass badges (golden??) on the frames of vintage museum works. They are located on the wall next to (or under) the displayed piece. I have used self printed mailing labels stuck to 8-ply matting board to great, inexpensive, effect for that purpose.

hacker extraordinaire

Yes, I guess 'show label' is the preferred nomenclature. Something visible from the front of the print so people can read the name or a short note about the content ("Jones Family Christmas, 1971"). It would be better incorporated into the framed print itself. I don't want my sloppy handwriting on the front of the mat.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.