Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Travel Conundrum

Re: Air Travel Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    1500 series case (which are generally ideal for carrion.
    Sorry, Jason. I don't mean to pick on or embarrass you, but that's funny. Reminds me of the cartoon of the vulture boarding an airplane who is rebuffed by the flight attendant for having too many "carrion" items. That would be "dead and rotting meat", not incidental luggage!"

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Sorry, Jason. I don't mean to pick on or embarrass you, but that's funny. Reminds me of the cartoon of the vulture boarding an airplane who is rebuffed by the flight attendant for having too many "carrion" items. That would be "dead and rotting meat", not incidental luggage!"
    Glad you picked up. It was no accident!

The addition of a layer of closed-cell foam -- specifically the old sleeping pads for backpacking before Thermorests arrived on the scene -- might give the extra protection you want on a soft-sided bag.

I used it to make the dividers in the travel pack in the photo -- one loose piece can be seen above the pack...it goes over the camera, and I use it to set stuff on (including my behind) on wet, icy or hard ground.

The photo shows three different types I used, blue, gray and a dimpled grey -- with a double layer around the sides of the camera body. Under the camera (against the GG,) is two layers of foam, plus a piece of thick matboard between the foam to keep anything from poking into the GG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Most internal flights within the the UK are with 737/Airbus sized aircraft with good space in the racks above the seats.
    I have always used a soft square bag which can be formed to fit into the size checker "cage" alongside the check-in desk. Checking size is quite a common occurance, as is weight. If something happens to this in flight, I doubt you will be around to complain.

I have had both an 18x24cm and a 13x18cm mahogany in the same cabin baggage, as well as boxes of plate holders. I use changing bags and bubble wrap for spacing and have even found space for small lenses.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Seems you'd be more likely to end up having to gate-check your bag because the flight is over-booked and all the overhead space is taken. Ship it ahead and save the stress.
    This has hap to me numerous times of late. It is getting harder to travel with gear all the time. I didn't even have LF gear either, Just a big dslr kit.

If your going first class you can get away with a lot more luggage. I just need the lotto to cooperate.

Some good ideas here, I'll be traveling to Hungary this summer with the 8x10 kit, and I might start a separate thread for that.

Meantime, for 4x5, I have a Pelican 1510 which is made to international carry-on specs; it holds my 4x5, 5 lenses and about 12 film holders.
    It also has the lid organizer, so I cram in all the accessories I would ever need.

At that point, though, you'd have to worry about weight; even if your case fits in the overhead compartment, they may decide to weigh it, and deem it too heavy for in-flight.

Some other ideas:

Since we rarely travel alone, see if your traveling partner(s) can carry an item or two for you in their carry-on bags. A lens is not so bulky and heavy...

And, check less-fragile items. I know there is a concern with theft; that's why I rarely bring pristine and expensive gear with me. My beater tripod goes into my suitcase, broken down and wrapped in bubble-wrap. I've been traveling that way for 25+ years and still have it. Don't bring your most expensive stuff. Then, if something is stolen the loss isn't so great. Keep in mind that tripods are readily available in most of the world.

Similarly, empty holders can be packed carefully and put in your checked luggage. What you want with you in the plane are your camera, meter and lenses. I usually have enough room for filters and some accessories, but have put carefully-packed filters in my checked baggage often with no mishaps.

And, since all airlines I am aware of allow one carry-on bag and one (sometimes) smaller "personal item" such as a laptop in a case or a handbag, you will do well to divide your kit. Keep the 8x10 in one case, carry the film, lenses and meter in another. Single, bulky, oversize bags are the ones that attract attention and will get forcibly checked at plane-side.

I also fly a lot on rather small planes (Dash 8s for the most part). It is common with these small planes to hand over your carry-on luggage for separate storage in the plane. When I know I'll be confronted with this, I always make sure my bag is small enough to fit under the seat in front of me (it rarely fits in the overhead compartments in those small planes). Again, breaking things down into smaller packages helps.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Ship my film. Backpack and tripod go as checked luggage in a Pelican 1650 with foam around the tripod. (Be careful to weigh the filled 1650 to stay withing limits. The 1650 is heavy by itself.)
    Secure the 1650 with industrial wire ties. TSA ALWAYS inspects so I have a card inside that reads "TSA, please secure the case with these wire ties following your inspection. Thank you" and I tape two wire tied to the note.

This has worked well and so far, no theft.

One of my customers says he wears a field jacket with lots of pockets for international flights. Goes through security with the RPT backpack and all gear. Once at the check-in gate, he removes lenses and small items from the pack and stuffs them into his pockets. They occasionally weigh the bag but never the passenger. The P3 will compact to fit in their size checkers and so as long as you don't exceed the weight restrictions, you will survive the ordeal. My customer says he as dodged all problems with this strategy - so far.

Bruce
    Bruce

Photographer

It's prudent to carry a spare ground glass on long trips. Tape between two pieces of masonite.
    Keith Pitman

An F-stop Tilopa BC pack worked for me when traveling to France. It fits in the overhead bin, if you get an empty one, or one not too full. It is a good pack for hiking because of the wide waist strap.

Larry