Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Darkroom

Jeremy D

5x7 Darkroom

I don't have a darkroom. I think I would like to. Is there a relatively inexpensive enlarger for 5x7 negs or is this mostly a big money endeavor. Seems like what I'm seeing on eBay and CL start at $500 or so and go up from there, while 35mm and MF setups are nearly free. Maybe my perception is wrong?

Re: 5x7 Darkroom

It think just depends... All three of my enlargers so far (MF and 4x5) have been free and I'm picking up a free 5x7 over the holidays. I have also seen 8x10 enlargers being given away. The problem is the bigger ones are basically impossible to ship so you have to be in the right place at the right time.

I don't know where you are,, but I picked up a floorstanding Devere 507 with stabiliser and timer along with all negative carriers and a 210mm lens for £400 (circa $600). I had to make a 500 mile round trip to collect it though.

Jeremy D

I will keep my eyes open and be patient then. It's good to hear there are some deals out there.

Where are you located? I have an Omega E that needs a new home. It's not modern, and needs a bit of clean up. It used to have the Omege cold light head, which I took the guts out of and converted to white LEDs. Has a filter drawer for filters, which need to be 5x7, so they are hard to find (and I don't have a set). So I used it with under the lens filters. Worked very well. I replaced it with a Durst 138, so I have no need for it.

I'm in southern NH if you want to pick it up.

Well I suspect the last free one in Whitehorse, Yukon was around the 1950s.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lffbug View Post
    I don't have a darkroom. I think I would like to. Is there a relatively inexpensive enlarger for 5x7 negs or is this mostly a big money endeavor. Seems like what I'm seeing on eBay and CL start at $500 or so and go up from there, while 35mm and MF setups are nearly free. Maybe my perception is wrong?
    You might try posting a WTB in the For Sale/Wanted section.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

There's always Elwoods. An enlarger named Elwood just has to bring a smile to your face! Elwood is a golden oldie that go for a pittance if not given away gratis, but they work!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Jeremy D

So what are the downsides to Elwoods? Just being old doesn't make it a bad thing...

They're rare to come by intact, in my experience. The wood one's seem to appear frequently,
    on the 'Bay but those are either missing the lamp housing, the diffuser, and the stand.
    Metal one's are even harder to come by. There's a wall mount one that's been on the 'Bay since forever
    but it's missing the lamp housing.

Larry offered you a Omega E, why not take that ? That is if you're located in the US.
    I'd jump on it but I'm determined to get my wooden Elwood working and holding out for an 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Lffbug View Post
    So what are the downsides to Elwoods? Just being old doesn't make it a bad thing...