Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone in October??

Yellowstone in October??

I am getting the itch to shoot in a new location. Never been to Yellowstone and was wondering if Yellowstone in October would be interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the second week in Oct too early? I have been told that Yellowstone is very 'touristy' and that it is better to go when there is snow to hide all the walkways.

If October is a reasonable time, any suggestions of sites to visit to get something interesting, but not a postcard? Thanks.

Yellowstone in October??

Peter,

If the crowds in Yellowstone are anything like Yosemite, October would be a fine time to visit. Being farther north you might have autumn colors to boot! Once colleges and schools are in session the crowds in the National Parks tend to taper off. I've only seen a very small part of Yellowstone (in April) and I can't wait for the opportunity to visit the park again. FWIW, April in West Yellowstone is a real trip watch the locals batten down the hatches in preparation for the tourist swell (the atmosphere is kind of like Shreveport LA bracing for a hurricane to hit!) By all means if you can, take in the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone since you'll be in the nieghborhood.

Enjoy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yellowstone in October??

I've been to Yellowstone the first week of October and the crowds are much less than in summer. It's by no means a ghost-town, but there are fewer people. You may catch some color in the aspens then too. And be prepared for cold weather. We had snow on the ground as it had snowed a few days before we arrived.

Kirk

Yellowstone in October??

Peter:

If you wish to catch any fall colors in YNP, the second week of October will probably be too late -- I would recommend visiting around the first of October. However, the quality of the colors may be kind of iffy. I live approximately 55 miles north of YNP and the region has been in the 6th year of drought, which can make for short-lived autumnal displays. While the snowpack in the Upper Yellowstone basin was abysmal this last winter, our summer was relatively mild with occasional rains. So... I guess what I am trying to say is that it's a crap shoot!

One of the nicest things about visiting Yellowstone in the fall is the lack of tourists (relatively speaking). Even if the colors aren't too great, you'll still have an excellent opportunity to view wildlife. Be prepared for any weather conditions and remember that many tourist facilities will be closed by October. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Cheers!

Yellowstone in October??

That would be one hell of a hurricane there John, seeing as Shreveport is about 150 miles inland. :P

Yellowstone in October??

Jim,

Its no wonder, I always get hopelessly lost whenever I'm South of Bakersfield! I spent most of the 1980's driving around the Southwest trying to find Bisbee Arizona;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yellowstone in October??

Thanks for the counsel, guys. I'm sensing that this may not be a 'high yield' time/place combination. I think I'll start thinking about somewhere else for October.

Thanks.

Yellowstone in October??

Did you ever find it?

Yellowstone in October??

Yes, in 1934---it was in May. As I recall, She wore blue, the nazis wore gray...no wait, that was a Casablanca! Make that 1984! Was that a movie too? I'm so confused!

Cheers!

Re: Yellowstone in October??

Try Rocky Mountain NP in October. It quiets down after Labor Day and the colors are not to bad in October.
    Sid