Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORIGINAL GRAFLEX 5X7 PRESS CAMERA

ORIGINAL GRAFLEX 5X7 PRESS CAMERA

Can anyone tell me why the ORIGINAL GRAFLEX 5X7 PRESS CAMERA seemed to be quite popular? The camera looks awkward to me. I've seen a picture of Imogen Cunningham holding one quite similiar. What am I missing? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3835796759&rd=1

The 5X7's are scarce. There were lots of 4X5 and 3X4's like this. It was a true hend held camera that you looked at your picture through a reflex mirror and snapped when it was right. In 1910, it was the only show in town. Edward Weston used a 4X5 like this for most of his spontaneous nudes. He could look at his subject and when he saw what he wanted, he would snap. They had a rear curtain shutter that was capable of some pretty snappy shutter speeds. Lartigue's famous 1913 pictures of racing cars where the wheels are egg-shaped were done with a camera just like the one in the auction. Or close. Same principle.

I think they're great! The only better 5x7 for shooting handheld is the Graflex Home Portrait 5x7, which had a rotating back, and more bellows draw. It's a lot of camera, and requires a serious commitment from the photographer, but the rewards are substantial.

I think Weston's may have been a 3x4", or he may have had a 3x4" at one time and later a 4x5". 4x5's are the most common.

I just acquired one of these and got two filmholders for it today, and it is a really neat camera. You get a neg big enough for contact printing and the spontenaiety of an SLR. It's not exactly a point-and-shoot, but more of a set-tension-set mirror-set-curtain-aperture-set-lens-aperture-point-focus-pull-slide-and-shoot, but there's no disconnect in viewing the image between focusing, inserting the holder, pulling the slide and shooting, so you can make dynamic and spontaneous portraits and photographs of other moving subjects. It's much more natural than using groundglass focusing or even a rangefinder.

It is also surprisingly well balanced for handheld use, as far as 12 lb. cameras go and has a top speed of 1/1500 sec.!

Downsides:

It is kind of big and boxy.

Filmholders are be tough to find. The 5x7" Press Graflex (1907-23) takes bag mags, like the one shown in the ad and 5x7" Graphic Filmholders--not regular holders, unless it's been converted. Mine is late (approx. 1921-22), and it uses Graphic holders.

They are old and likely to need repair. Mine happens to be in good shape, but one would expect problems with the curtain shutter and bellows, handles tend to be gone, and worn parts just might not all fit together so well anymore.

No flash sync particularly. You can use open flash technique on the T setting or if you have a leaf shutter lens, you can use the sync on the lens, but you still have to use the T setting, which defeats the purpose of having an SLR.

No camera movements on the 5x7" Press Graflex, but some of them had limited movements.

per Jay's comment about serious commitment, Paul Strand used a 5x7 Home Portrait Graflex for much of his career. I've seen a picture somewhere of Strand with this camera on a *large* tripod... it's a monster.

I thought Weston used a 5x7? I know the oft repeated documentary on Modotti which in part covers Weston's time in Mexico she is quoted claiming she wanted a smaller camera then Weston's. That's why she went with a 3x4.

Weston used a 3 1/4x4 1/4 Graflex until he moved to Carmel, at which time he bought a 4x5. Personally, I think the quality of his portraits and nudes took a nosedive at that point, as the 3x4 could be used hand-held, while the much larger 4x5 required a tripod. The small Graflex negatives were enlarged to 8x10 by a laborious process involving copying them with his 8x10 studio camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Aaron,

This camera was quite popular in its day. They are rather scarce because so many of them were heavily used and more than likely disposed of. But a collector source I have in NYC, who focuses on early Graflex products, informed me that a large quantity was manufactured of this model. I have seen news clips from the teens and '20s with several photographers using the 5x7 Press Graflex. In fact, I recently saw a documentry of WWI and noticed many Press Graflex cameras at the tickertape parade in NYC! I think once the Speed Graphic caught on (introduced in 1912), the Graflex (reflex) models became much less popular for reportage.

I was lucky this past Spring. I walked into Quality Camera in Atlanta to pickup an Ebay item I won. Sitting high on a shelf was a beautiful near mint 5x7 Press Graflex with a Cooke lens. I had wanted one but gave up after a while. This one had been acquired from its original owner in Santa Fe. Well, I left the store with it and its original case. I have yet to shoot with it. As David pointed out, the camera does not use standard 5x7 holders. I need to start looking for them or a bag mag.

The Press Graflex is very difficult to work on compared to other Graflex models. I took apart a 4x5 Super D to CLA the internal mechanisms and didn't have a problem reassembling it. However, the Press Graflex has a large flat coil spring for the tensioner, similar to a clock spring or tape measure. If you decide to bid on this posting, I would assure that it works OK. Sometimes, just a light application of oil on the roller bearings will make all the difference.

There are some inaccuracies in the listing of this item. It implies that the "Press" Graflex was the first model. This is not the case. The original Graflex was about six years earlier than the Press model. Unlike the Press, which came only in the 5X7 size, the original was listed as available from 4X5 to 8X10. (I'd love to see an 8X10 example. Wow!) It was just called "The Graflex". There was also a "Reversible Back Graflex" which came in only 4X5 and 5X7 sizes. Both types are now hardly ever seen in any size. They had variable slit shutters which were probably less durable than the multiple fixed slit type used on later types. The Press can be instantly identified by the protruding shutter roll housing which precluded any possibility of reversing the back for vertical views.

I disagree with the statement that a 4X5 Graflex had to be used on a tripod. I used a 4X5 for a time and I don't recall ever having had it on a tripod. By the way, it's much easier to hold a Graflex steady than a Speed Graphic or similar camera.

"Weston used a 3 1/4x4 1/4 Graflex until he moved to Carmel, at which time he bought a 4x5. Personally, I think the quality of his portraits and nudes took a nosedive at that point, as the 3x4 could be used hand-held, while the much larger 4x5 required a tripod."

This was my understanding from my readings about Weston. I have aquired a 3x4 R.B. and it takes very acceptible photographs. The 152mm is very sharp. I have both 3x4 Graflex holders and a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film holder for the camera. One thing I may do is one of them Snow White screens for the view finder. It is a bit dim for any critical focusing. While it possible to use handheld, a tripod makes a world of difference.

tim in san jose