Thread: Source for Heavy Duty Print Shipping Case...

Source for Heavy Duty Print Shipping Case...

Hi, I am basically looking for the equivalent of a 2" thick Pelican Case that would handle up to 20x24 unmounted prints to send to my spotter. I have an email in to Pelican to see if they make custom cases as my shipper says they do. I have looked at making a crate but don't like the lack of weather sealing that the P-case would inherently have.

Any suggestions? I just don't see much out there at the moment....

Re: Source for Heavy Duty Print Shipping Case...

Rolling them into a tube is not an option?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    Rolling them into a tube is not an option?
    No, not for fiber based fine art prints, especially when there are 30-50 in the batch, LOL!

seems to me that there was a regular advertiser for shipping boxes, archival grade, for prints, in View Camera magazine.

Quick google search turned up this: http://greatoutput.blogspot.ca/2010/...-supplies.html

And they mention uline.com , which has just about anything you'd ever need for shipping

Thanks Vick, that is a good read. The Deluxe Artwork Shippers from Uline look promising but for what they are, I might be better off with the Archival Methods Trans-port case, it would last a heck of a lot longer.

The lower shipping cost with the Uline would add up to a good amount of savings over a year though...about $20 over the Trans-port case each round trip.

Tenba makes several different size portfolio shipping cases. Probably similar in cost to Pelican i.e., not cheap! I'm sure with a little care in packing you could safely ship eggs in one of these, I'm sure it would protect some prints just fine.

joseph

My suggestion would be to make a crate using plywood, softwood, glue, and foam sheet, basing the dimensions around a 20x24 print box. Even if you have no workshop, the materials can be ordered cut to size, and assembled at home. It doesn't have to be rough looking, its appearance will depend only on the design and the finish.

I ended up going with an Archival Methods Trans-port case for 16x20 and smaller and the Uline box for 20x24.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I ended up going with an Archival Methods Trans-port case for 16x20 and smaller and the Uline box for 20x24.
    Dan, ever order large-Ish prints from Dwayne's? 11x14 to 20x24? I actually think they do a great job of shipping and only use cardboard. But their method of wrapping and taping seems to make sense and works fine.