Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: large Format Bellows

Re: large Format Bellows

I'm starting to wonder whether "calibre61" is just trolling for some attention here and doing a bit of potentially damaging name-dropping.

I've not personally used Camera Bellows ( though I almost did, once) and I know they have a solid reputation as professional outfit, inside and outside the photo industry. I can't believe they would deign, or ever waste their time engaging in something like this and I highly doubt this suspicious user is affiliated with them in any way.

Does anyone know if Barry Cochran actually claims Camera Bellows as a vital supplier to his "Deardorff" debacle? I would rather doubt that, too.

First of all I would like to apologise for misleading people on this forum, my main aim on previous posts was to make people aware of the practices of a certain company. Ok I have posted it in the wrong place, maybe a little strong at times but that is down to frustration at trying to get answers from them
    Regarding this line of enquiries I can only apologise for a "moment of madness" it was a ridiculous thing to do ( not a good idea posting when you get in from the pub) but that is no excuse I know, I did not realise it would upset some people and I can only apologise for that. I have only just joined this site and obviously have a lot to learn on protocol, and yes I have learned
    Sincerest apologies to those I have upset and thank you to those with positive feedback

Who made the kid leather bellows for Wisner cameras?

Ron used to make his own bellows in-house

Welcome to the Forum Calibre61 !
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Are you sure it was in house? I know he raided some of his jobbers cameras because his bellows maker was not able to get some done for him. Had the impression it was a guy outside his company doing it.

If it was in house, do you know who it was and if he is around with the capability of making leather bellows now?

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by calibre61 View Post
    First of all I would like to apologise for misleading people on this forum, my main aim on previous posts was to make people aware of the practices of a certain company. Ok I have posted it in the wrong place, maybe a little strong at times but that is down to frustration at trying to get answers from them
    Regarding this line of enquiries I can only apologise for a "moment of madness" it was a ridiculous thing to do ( not a good idea posting when you get in from the pub) but that is no excuse I know, I did not realise it would upset some people and I can only apologise for that. I have only just joined this site and obviously have a lot to learn on protocol, and yes I have learned
    Sincerest apologies to those I have upset and thank you to those with positive feedback
    So are you now saying that you do not manufacture bellows for Deardorff, that you just made it up???
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I always thought he made his own bellows, if he did get his bellows made out then it was by ....... From what I have heard is from a guy who made them in his garage but unfortunately had to give it up due to ill health. Leather is available but not in thickness's that suit bellows it is too thick made for book binding. That's why Wisner bellows were so thick, I can get leather from Japan but it is so expensive per sq foot it would cost more than the camera was worth, sorry I cannot be more helpful maybe the Chinese bellows company can do it ...I don't know

No I do make bellows for Deardorff and any other camera that needs them, the apology was for pretending to be a customer.....Like I said a moment of stupidity
    .......lesson learned

Calibre61, welcome to the forum and thank you for your comments.

The thinnest leather I was able to obtain (in Spain) had between 0.5mm and 0.7mm of thickness. And not in big pieces (from small animals). So was ok for small bellows (medium format or 4x5") but maybe not good for 8x10" and larger.

What thickness is normally used for leather in 8x10"?

BTW, I have meet and industrial bellows maker in Taiwan. I asked them to make some photographic bellows and they made two samples for me. But the material they used is very stiff. I proposed them to use some umbrella fabric (nylon / plastic ?) but they cannot adapt easily that material into their current process.