Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: large Format Bellows

Re: large Format Bellows

Thank you Ramon
    The leather I used to get was 7 thousand of an inch thick ( don't know what that is metric) the material we use is specially made for us to a specific thickness, it's ok getting thin material off the shelf but it still has to be light tight to be of any use.
    Thicker material may be ok for extending the camera but if you need to use movements on the front standard it makes it almost impossible, with the Toyo bellows being of one piece of material if you get a crack or a hole it becomes useless, you need material on the inside as well as an outer material to give you extra insurance against holes
    Hope this helps
    Calibre

Quote Originally Posted by calibre61 View Post
    The leather I used to get was 7 thousand of an inch thick ( don't know what that is metric)
    Seven thou of an inch (0.178mm) is so thin that I can hardly believe it is not transparent.
    I have used 0.016" (0.4mm) (1/64") but not for bellows.

You must be using two layers, perhaps of different material, no?

Hi Jack
    We use an internal material as a lining and the leather for the outside for extra insurance, yes the leather is very thin we used to be able to get it from uk suppliers but they all went out of business and is only available from Japan at extortionate prices.....totally out of the question, the leather was pigskin a much tougher leather that would stand the thinning process. Really miss using it as it made superb bellows, all the original Gandolfi bellows were made with it, if you ever get your hands on one you will see how thin it used to be

large Format Bellows

"only available from Japan at extortionate prices"

I'm sure that is true. Did you know that they have contests to find who can slice the very thinnest wood veneer? Amazing stuff, and it has profitable outcomes.

(BTW, it really is Jac, as in Jacques )

Apologies Jac
    I wish they could do that with leather, I have used snakeskin on a bellows......absolute nightmare to use but looked cool !!
    Thick and scaly, always looking for something different......any ideas??

Re: Wisners "in-house bellows making". He used to have an employee, (Steve, who I met on some of my many visits), who made all bellows for cameras up to 8x10 and maybe a bit bigger, but the Ultra-large bellows originally came from Universal Bellows (red-synthetic covers) until Universal closed. When that happened he bought cover material from Universal and commenced making his own ULF bellows. At some point Steve left the company and Ron or some other employees continued bellows making at the Marion factory.

I have ordered many bellows from Custom Bellows (and their previous incarnation before that) and can only offer high praise for the product and service.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    The thinnest leather I was able to obtain .... not in big pieces (from small animals). So was ok for small bellows (medium format or 4x5")

I have a 4x5 that will be needing a new bellows. I also have a neighbor with a very annoying chiuaua dog. I think there's a way you could solve two problems for me at the same time..........

The bellows are no problem, but your neighbour will only cover 6x9. Do you have a neighbour with a Labrador ???