Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Deardorf Base Plate Screw Hole too deep

8x10 Deardorf Base Plate Screw Hole too deep

Hi, I just got my first Deardorf 8x10 (woohoo) and immediately noticed that the screw hole on the base plate, which has a normal 1/4in female screw, is recessed too far and none of my tripod quick release plates can be used; i.e., the screws just won't reach the female threads at all, not even a single turn's worth.

I've tried many tripods, and the amount of protrusion above the plate surface tends to be more or less uniform, so it seems the base plate / screw hole is the issue. Question: what is a good way around it? Is it pretty easy to get a longer screw from tripod/head manufactures?

I want to use this with my Manfrotto....

Thanks for any advice.

Re: 8x10 Deardorf Base Plate Screw Hole too deep

Go to a real hardware store and get a small bolt with the right thread. It is a really common size. 1/4 x 20 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Go to a real hardware store and get a small bolt with the right thread. It is a really common size. 1/4 x 20 or something like that.
    Sweet, exactly what I wanted to hear Off to the HW Store tomorrow Thanks!

RawheaD,

You may also find, as I did, that a quick release plate and tripod head that worked fine on my 4X5 was not strong enough for the weight of my Deardorff 8X10. There was enough "give" present that I bought a tripod head made for an 8X10.

Keith

Look for Grade 5 or Grade 8, which have 3 or 6 marks on the top. Do not settle for the cheapest.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/st...es-d_1426.html

My factory had to replace nearly every bolt that somebody got from the low cost supplier, the factory was a million sq ft.

I had the same problem with a Burke & James 5x7 and a Berlebach QR plate. Berlebach made me a longer screw for 10€ including shipping, which was a very elegant solution. Perhaps the manufacture of the QR Plate can supply you with a longer screw.

Now if Berlebach had been willing to make a longer screw for me then the hardware store would have been my next stop. I could have ground the head down on a 1/4"x20 bolt and made it work.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    Hi, I just got my first Deardorf 8x10 (woohoo) and immediately noticed that the screw hole on the base plate, which has a normal 1/4in female screw, is recessed too far and none of my tripod quick release plates can be used; i.e., the screws just won't reach the female threads at all, not even a single turn's worth.
    I drilled and tapped mine to 3/8 x 16.

Soon you will learn how to spell Deardorff.

I could have ground the head down on a 1/4"x20 bolt and made it work.
    It is easier to buy just a 1/4 x 20 stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Fleming View Post
    RawheaD,

You may also find, as I did, that a quick release plate and tripod head that worked fine on my 4X5 was not strong enough for the weight of my Deardorff 8X10. There was enough "give" present that I bought a tripod head made for an 8X10.

Keith
    Actually, I'm already thinking this would be the case; but one thing at a time, I'm already bleeding heavily from the purchases I've made recently I'd need to buy a sturdier tripod, too. 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Look for Grade 5 or Grade 8, which have 3 or 6 marks on the top. Do not settle for the cheapest.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/st...es-d_1426.html

My factory had to replace nearly every bolt that somebody got from the low cost supplier, the factory was a million sq ft.

WOW, this is some cool stuff, never knew about these markings!! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I had the same problem with a Burke & James 5x7 and a Berlebach QR plate. Berlebach made me a longer screw for 10€ including shipping, which was a very elegant solution. Perhaps the manufacture of the QR Plate can supply you with a longer screw.

Now if Berlebach had been willing to make a longer screw for me then the hardware store would have been my next stop. I could have ground the head down on a 1/4"x20 bolt and made it work.

Roger

I will ask Manfrotto It would be nice to have an "official" solution.