Thread: Polaroid Type 55 reciprocity corrections?

Polaroid Type 55 reciprocity corrections?

Hello;

I've searched Polaroid's web site and the archive, and can't find an answer for this one:

Where can I find a listing of recommended reciprocity corrections as a function of time for Polaroid Type 55 P/N (they don't have to be official; Somebody else' s empirical results will serve as a starting point). I'm more interested in the behavior of the negative than of the positive, if they're different.

Also, does anybody out there have a feel for how the Type 55 neg. behaves under multipop flash illumination? There seems to be 0.5-1 stop of loss going from 1 f lash pulse to 4. Is this consistent with what others have experienced?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick, not to cut the answer short, but read Polaroid Photography by Ansel Adams, you should be able to get it at your local library. Pat

OR, contact Ron Wisner at sales@wisner.com Pat

Generally when I do a multi-pop exposure I start to add an extra pop for every 5 the meter reads. I do this with all film. I am not that surprised that you are losing about a half stop on the Type 55.

Polaroid has print tech sheets (hole punched, even) for all film types. I believe they're still available thur their 800 CS No. Ask them why it's not on the WEB site. too if you think of it

Re: Polaroid Type 55 reciprocity corrections?

Goog example of why its better to answer the question than refer to a book or company. It's now 2012. Polaroid site no longer has info on this product, no 3-hole punched sheets, and while referencing a good book can be handy, the question was specific and this is the internet. Would have been good if someone answered the question. If I find out, I'll post somewhere in the large format forum.

Empircal experience: Type 55 is still available and functional on ebay. For exposures over 5 seconds I've been tripling the time -as a guess- and the results have been OK. Still looking for better info.

I found an old Polaroid document, but couldn't make sense of it. I was expecting to get a multiplier as function of metered exposure time -like Ilford provides. Instead it was a graph where neither the x nor y axis made sense to me. I forget the terms they used but here's what they didn't use: time, stop, zone or other more common terms.

Found an answer from 2001:

I have successfully used PN 55 at times - it gives a negative with a distinctive tonality that can be useful in making a particular statement about a given motif.

The guidelines for speed and reciprocity I use are from Ansel Adams' book Polaroid Land Photography - no longer in print unfortunately. Tis is what he suggests and it has worked for me:

Suggested ISO = 50

Print ISO = 64

Negative ISO = 20

Reciprocity:

Metered 8 sec Factor 2X Time 16 sec

Metered 16 sec Factor 2.5X Time 40 sec

Metered 32 sec Factor 3X Time 96 sec

Metered 64 sec Factor 4X Time 256 sec

Expansion and contraction of development is possible within limits but I shall have to get back to you later on that.

Cheers ... WG

further discussion about varying development time said it affected the print a little, but not the negative. Ansel A cautioned against not developing loing enough, otherwise when exposed to light the negative could still darken.

http://store.polaroid.com/media/document/55fds.pdf

lots of info here. I don't understand the density and log chart, but second page gives stops and seconds

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Riedel View Post
    I don't understand the density and log chart...
    Ray, not to cut the answer short, but read The Negative by Ansel Adams, you should be able to get it at your local library. Brian