Thread: New to LF, from St. Louis MO

New to LF, from St. Louis MO

LF photography is on my bucket list.

I am interested in learning and using movements, primarily in landscape photography, with attention to cliffs as well as flat scenes. As a teen in the late 1960s, I started serious photography with an all manual 35mm SLR, my beloved Mamiya-Sekor DTL 1000, and did all my own darkroom work, B&W of course. After college, I had a half-time medical research tech, half-time darkroom/ photo/ graphics tech for the anatomy department at my hometown's medical school. Then - large hiatus - went to medical school myself, then residency, where I saw the waning days of professional medical photography - I took a pathology specimen I was working on to the photography department for a book cover illustration, 4x5 macro camera B&W. Wow! Then I became a faculty member in a different medical school's department of Pathology, and my for-pleasure photography snoozed throughout the dawn of digital. Four years ago I went from merely photographing pathology specimens at work to shooting for my own pleasure, and have been active in nature photography (birds, macro, landscape) using small format DSLR.

I have never had and do not have a LF camera. That's why I am hanging out here, reading, figuring out what I will need in a basic set-up (beyond box with pinhole). Soon enough I will buy something and start floundering. I have been studying Stroebel's View Camera Technique, Adams 3 part Camera-Negative-Print series, Jack Dykinga LF Landscape Photography. I plan to start with B&W because 1. more control, and cheaper failures! Fail often, fail BETTER! 2. I can pick up developing and contact printing easily enough (like riding a bike, you never forget?) 3. I have a waterbath for temperature control, and access to no-longer-functional, but still properly dark, darkrooms at work.

Re: New to LF, from St. Louis MO

Cool. Dive in.

Les

Welcome. The x-ray film (available in various LF sizes) is v. reasonably priced and; therefore, allows for mega failures/learning. Yet, some peeps like to use it and with some superior results. It's almost like a 3-wheel bike, that you can get used to and stick with it as long as you wish.....and no one will snicker at.

Les

Welcome to the retro-revolution! I would suggest picking up a 4x5 Speed or Crown Graphic and starting with "normal" sheet film, like Ilford FP4, Delta 100 or TMax, rather than starting right off with a specialty film. Finding a Speed or Crown Graphic with a lens is easy on ebay or Craigslist - it's hard to NOT find a bunch to pick from for less than several hundred bucks.

Dan

Most welcome Nancy. Your pick of initial books for study is first rate. You could get an inexpensive 4X5 for starters with a more or less normal 150 mm lens. Ebay is a good place to start for equipment - or even better at this forum - where the people are first rate to deal with and ever so helpful.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I AM the retro-revolution, at this rate (sees bag of 40 to 50-year-old lenses sitting on the shelf, each lens waiting for its debut on digital 35mm format - yes, I also hang out a bit at the manual focus forum www.mflenses.com). I tend to run digital cameras on manual mode and manual focus my autofocus lenses unless I am shooting fast action. View Camera lesson #1: pronounce and spell "Scheimpflug" principle correctly..... lesson #2 Visualize the Sch... principle...... Yes, I had classical optics about a zillion years ago, I don't remember a great deal other than good old Mr. Snell.